Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welder Recommendation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris101_ny, Aug 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I’m also in the duel voltage camp. I replaced a worn out Millermatic 200 with a Millermatic 211 for my home shop and love it. I was extremely surprised at what I could weld with it plugged into 110. And I’m also a Hobart fan if your looking to spend less money.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I bought one of those new in 76, got used to the buzz noise it makes a rest. Great machine.

saltflats likes this.
  3. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

As a Miller, Lincoln and Esab certified repair tech, I will say you get what you pay for. A few tips, Hobart is made by Miller on the same assembly line. The roller housing is either plastic or pot metal on the Hobarts. But all the electronics are the same. Most dealer sold Lincoln welders are made in Ohio still. If you buy a big box store Lincoln they are made in Mexico. Look at the serial number Mexican units start with an M. American units start with a U. Both brands have a three year warranty that certified service centers will honor. Esab is a great welder but can get very pricey. They also have entry level machines. They recently bought Thermal Dynamics so their plasma cutters are top quality. As for end customer support it's esab and miller. Both have a great customer service tech line. They will also direct you to a service center that will cover warranty work. I hope this helps. And for pete's sake stay away from the super cheap machines, most are not repairable correctly when they wear out.

rusty valley likes this.
  4. I have a good old Lincoln 220A buzz box that I stick weld all my heavy stuff with. Had a Lincoln 110 wire feed that I did most welding with. The control board went bad and cost more than a new machine. I bought a Hobart 110V machine because of the price/feature benefits. I like it better than the Lincoln. The 0.030"spring liner froze so I had to order a new one. Found out Hobart is a subsidiary of Miller, just their 'Chevrolet' version of the Cadillac' Miller. Replacement part even came in a Miller box!

For quality of weld, you can't beat the 220A stick welder. Can choose the proper metal alloy for the application and resulting weld is just like the base metal, contrasted to the wire feed which yields a very hard bead,

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have to agree, if you are a good stick welder, they are the right tool for heavy metal and strong welds. but when fabricating, it sure is nice to just pull the trigger to tack things together. we get lazy. i still have my old lincoln buzz box, bought new in the 80's, but not touched in decades. also have a big miller dial arc for tig, which would be a powerful stick machine, but never tried it. do most welds with the millermatic 200

6. 6sally6

6sally6

Stick welded for many many years (before wire MIG got so popular)......I believe ANY thing you weld with stick can be welded (easier) with the MIG. Other than the light-weight HF type 110 machines...a nice MIG machine is the way to go.
    WHY keep the old stick machines around unless that's what cha got or can afford? They just not worth the aggreviation! They call them 'STICK' welders for a reason!
    6sally6

7. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Bought a CIG WELD 185, 3 in one machine. 240 v (for Aust) does mig, tig and stick (including reverse polarity). Can use gas or fluxed. Great little welder and good value for money.