Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford banjo experts please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I completed my banjo rebuild, pinion preload, back lash, , every step is within specs , the gear pattern was good as well. Now I know preload on pinion after completion is not ever mentioned but gotta ask the banjo experts a question . After I go it together I turned the pinion, it was tight. Can turn by hand but not easly. To be clear I did preload first thing was around 13 in / lb before everything else was installed now after all is done it is about 40 in/ lb . I assume it to be a bit tighter than initial preload but is this number normal. As I said gear pattern was good as was all backlash measurements. Thanks

2. xix32

xix32

If you set the correct backlash between the ring and pinion after the drag was set on the pinion, I don't see what could cause the pinion drag to change. Since there still should be clearance between the two.
    It sounds to me like you might have misplaced some of the banjo housing/carrier shims, and caused the ring gear to get pushed into the pinion gear.
    Try holding both axles so they can't move, then check the back lash on the pinion shaft. It should be about .004"

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. xix32

xix32

Another thought, once the whole thing is together the measured pinion drag is turning the whole carrier assembly
    inside of it's bearings, and axle seals. So naturally there would be a lot more resistance.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    irishsteve likes this.
  4. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

There are no shims, just gaskets between axle tubes and centrr housing.

5. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yes , that is what ,I thought and expected. The preload on pinion being 40 in/ lb is like saying 3and 1/2 foot pounds so perhaps it is ok. Didnt recheck pinion back lash yet ( wife had me do something ) but will check at pinion shaft and lock washer on pinion nut. Can not remember for the life of me the last time I tried to spin a pinion on a rearend and how it felt.

6. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Well, ba k lash was about .003, spexs call for .008 to .012 , seemm high but that is what the instruction sheep's son* added a .05 gasket on the drivers side of banjo , now back lash is .010 and pinion preload is at 18 in / lb . DONE.

7. 28rpu

28rpu

Ford manual for the banjo rear end says back lash should be .003-.008.

8. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Dang , that's where I was . Not sure where the papers I got originated but they said .08-. 012 for truck , pass car was different . I see on Vanpelts site it says .03 to.08 thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  9. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Here are my instructions, like I said not sure of origin.

Attached Files:

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

perhaps too late, but many of the old guys at the barn like to set the preload by clamping the pinion in the vise, and when the correct "heavy drag" is there it will only spin once when you try and spin it. here's one link, there are many. go to pete's post https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151533

warbird1 likes this.
  11. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

12. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Thanks , I saw that , kind tried it , didn't clamp it but held the pinion in one hand and spin with other , got almost a whole rev once or twice.

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

another thing to remember, the front pinion bearing needs to be able to move when doing the adjustment. the shaft is actually about a half a thou smaller there, and some folks will polish it up a little to be sure the bearing can move