Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Model T Ford Flathead V8 60

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pkhammer, Aug 1, 2020.

1. pkhammer

pkhammer

Sorry if you opened this thread expecting to see a Model T with a V8 60 in it. Instead, I have a boring story for you.
    A few of days ago, a friend of mine called me and said that the father of a friend of his had passed and his friend was cleaning out his father's junk and that there was a Model T engine there and did he want it. Well my friend didn't want it and neither did I unless it was maybe a brass era (1909-1915) engine. He said he'd go check it out anyway. So he calls me the next day and says it's not a model T engine but a flathead V8 and it's been outside but covered. I said "well that's different, I'll take that rather than see it go to the junk man".
    So I offer to go pick it up and he says not to worry about it, he's got it taken care of. Huh? Anyway he shows up at the house today with this little booger. 17 head studs? Huh? Oh yeah! A V8 60! Looks like it once ran a small saw mill or some flat-belt driven machine. It is stuck, missing the carburetor and the trans case is cracked so it might be a boat anchor but I still find it quite interesting as I've never had one. The man said his Dad had the plugs out so he could fill the cylinders with oil to help free it up.
    Is there any demand at all for these lil engines? I'm not sure what i'm going to do with it but the price was right! 102_4313.JPG 102_4314.JPG 102_4315.JPG

tractorguy and 34 GAZ like this.
  2. Back in the early 50"s they were popular with circle track racers so you might get lucky,and find old speed equipment.In a light car like a T it would be a novelty,and a eye catcher.You wont run in to many at car shows.I once saw one mounted in a early rigid frame Harley!

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Honest Charley built bikes with V-8 60's.

tractorguy and irishsteve like this.
  4. Complete with gearbox. Nice. Guess your first chore will be four castor wheels under the beams.

5. v8flat44

v8flat44

If it can be saved it will go into a T or an A. A cousin of mine had an A with a hopped up 60 in it way back. Fun, quick little 2 door sedan. Drove the wheels off it.

6. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Unfortunate that the trans case is cracked, it appears to be the V860 truck trans which will take later gears. Also, if the heads are aluminum, they are desirable.

7. pkhammer

pkhammer

Yes that is unfortunate. The shifter is stuck fast and the case is cracked so likely it got water in it. I hope the engine hasn't suffered the same fate.

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

There is still a market for the V8 60, people into the old midgets like them. I had one in my avatar and it was a dog until it got rapped up, no torque but I was running 3:78 gears and they came with 4:44 gears. Fun little engines but not real good if you want to run down the highway.