Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Poll: * Street racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Jul 28, 2020.

?

(current day) street racing is ...

Poll closed Aug 4, 2020.
  1. Cool

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Not cool

71 vote(s)
    91.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. * current day

By "Current day" I don't mean modern cars. I mean in the present, not the past.

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Is something you don't talk about online...

3. I started this poll because I saw a comment here about street racing.

Think of it as a silent auction.

Polling is still open.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. With the majority of members being old enough to have grandkids(myself included)and even great grandkids. I’m betting on the not cool by three car lengths.
    Is this for titles?

Driver50x, vtx1800, The37Kid and 3 others like this.

5. Sarge is baiting us...

Uh, also, not me!

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

guess it depends on whether you win or lose........

7. Nope. Not voting, nor adding commentary.

chevy57dude likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah. Street racing is bad. Don’t do it. Ever. :)

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In general, I think it is not cool. However, it may depend somewhat on the definition of ‘street’. If that includes urban/suburban ‘streets’......bad mojo, for several reason I can think of.

However, a section of rural interstate or other divided four lane, during very light travel hours, maybe not so irresponsible and potentially hazardous to the health of people sharing the roadway.

Get caught though, or worse, have a bad accident, and the publicity alone IS hazardous to our hobby, not to mention the damage, injuries or death that could occur.

Ray

10. bad boy club.jpg
    * If your comment was sarcastic.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  11. Bunch of hoodlums.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Daughter-in-Law was a recent witness to a couple of big fools playing "tag" on a Country Rd - they were late model OT cars - one car had wife & kids in car - that car crashed and all died - car was burned so bad that first responders could not identify any of the occupants - know that this was not a "pure" form of drag racing - but, why risk it? -

13. Yeah, the "hoodlums" that wanna talk about corporal punishment for stolen yard art.

chevy57dude likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@sgtlethargic

Judging by your post count, versus the likes received over the past fifteen years, that suggests popular opinion is not often on your side. Of course, you ARE entitled to those opinions.....no question about that.

Ray

15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think back to the early 60s when I 40 wasn't complete through Western Oklahoma. Imagine a skinny kid with a couple of spray cans of paint on a brand new section of concrete that hadn't been opened to the public:cool:. Imagine this same skinny kid working so intensely to lay down start and finish lines for a race that was to take place later that night that he didn't hear the highway patrol roll up on him:oops:. Just imagine what lame excuses the kid tried to lay on the officer and then imagine what happened when he had to explain it to his parents:(.

16. Your methodology is flawed.

alanp561 likes this.
  17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Cool on TV let someone else get hurt/Arrested etc.

Lil32 likes this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps.....but obviously I don’t t agree with your assessment. I suppose it depends on how deep one wants to drill down into the minutia of statistical analysis, but ‘populist’ is good enough for these purposes.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'll give you 2 lengths, the hit, and beat you with the gap. It's cool, just not smart. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

kidcampbell71 and belair like this.
  20. My opinion-to-comment ratio is low.

I think the like button is a newer feature. I'd be concerned if I had a lot of likes.

It seems that you're unhappy about something.

21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

This question cannot be answered by yes or no! Depends on your ride, the time, the street, the amount of people.
    Back in the day, I lived for street racing, either in town or out on a good stretch of asphalt out in the sticks.
    If you have a huge amount of horse power, you need to be on the strip. But a mildly warm over car , wide street, two cars, no people , I don’t see a problem. Hell most new cars take off faster from a stop light at half throttle than my heavy 289 powered car can at wot!
    Like said.....depends!

Bones

INVISIBLEKID and alanp561 like this.
  22. I wouldn't say we never did it back when we were young and foolish. I would be lying. It's just a careless thing to do nowadays. A few years ago on a section of Route 210 (Indian Head Hwy. ) in Southern Maryland 8 people lost their lives when a car careened into a crowd of spectators. Incidents like that cast a bad light on all of us in the car hobby and cause undue police attention on those of us trying to enjoy our cars legally. The risks are just not worth it.

23. belair

belair

It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye... or a friend or a son, or a daughter, their life, or takes someone else's life. Like butch said, it's cool, but not smart.

24. Don, I remember that very well. That was pretty horrific.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. .......I saw a guy flagging get a broken leg once when a car got sideways, struck him and tossed him like a rag doll. Luckily he landed in a grassy area or the injury would have likely been much worse.

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Around here “street racing” is taking over an intersection and doing donuts at 2AM

Flathead Dave and Jalopy Joker like this.
  27. bobscogin

bobscogin

Stock Model A Fords only.
    Bob

28. Impeding traffic is the bigger concern.

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Traffic is to bad around here. Back in the days we would stop on I 70 and race, you try that now and it won't be pretty. :eek:

hemihotrod66 and seb fontana like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nope, not me, I wasn't there your honor!

alanp561 and chevy57dude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.