Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas tank coating..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elcohaulic, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have a new Spectra gas tank for my brothers 64 el Camino. This is the third tank in 6 years that needs replaced due to leaking. Should I get this one coated? Should I just use Eastwood or POR coating or have the radiator shop do it? The tank looks good the welds all look nice and smooth...

Any thoughts?
    Thank you,
    Jeff

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. ..............Eastwood?

3. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

DO NOT use the gas tank Re Nu system! They say it solves your problems but they butcher holes in your tank and deform it’s shape. (Saw an original ‘32 tank they totally destroyed)
    I have used KBS brand sealer on many tanks without any issues. If the tank is prepared correctly it will not fail, you must follow the instructions completely. If you have problems with the tank corroding from the outside it can be coated with another KBS product. This is not an add for KBS, just my opinion from previous experiences.

lothiandon1940 and Elcohaulic like this.
  4. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The KBS seems to be very popular. Thanks for shearing your experience..

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Hope it works better than the sealer someone used on one of my vehicles! On one of mine the sealer began coming off in huge sheets, and eventually blocked the pickup sock. Left me stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone coverage! I had to grab my tools and drop the tank alongside the road and found a sheet about 9"-10" diameter wrapped around the sock.
    When I got home I tore the tank out, and replaced the whole tank to avoid anymore coming off and stranding me again.

Elcohaulic and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I use REDKOTE. Had it in my car and tractor both a few years now. No problems yet.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Anybody used Por 15 tank sealer ? Getting ready to try it today on a project that will have diesel fuel in it...............

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Tank coatings are like paint jobs it's the prep that counts.

Elcohaulic, X38, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  9. pontiac

pontiac

I coated the gas tank on my 1952 Pontiac over 10 years ago with the POR 15 sealer.. It still looks new inside. No cracks, chips, or leaks.

I have another can of the sealer I'm going to use in the tank for my 53 Pontiac wagon.

ekimneirbo and Elcohaulic like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

did you have 3 new tanks in 6 years that leaked?

why would a new tank need a sealer?

11. I used it in a deuce tank 20 years ago, followed the instructions to the letter. Still have the car today and seems to be fine. From what I can see when I shine a light with the cap off the coating still looks the same as ever.

Have recently done another tank.

Have also heard good things about KBS

ekimneirbo likes this.
  12. Rckt98

Rckt98

I second POR 15 tank sealer. The tank in my coupe was done around 20 years ago and touch wood, is still fine.

ekimneirbo and Elcohaulic like this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you coat a new tank you are just not thinking correctly.
    I buy new tanks so I don't have to coat the old one and worry about issues.

Moriarity, Nailhead Jason and HEMI32 like this.
  14. Where are these new tanks that keep leaking come from? Try a Tanks brand tank. Very High quality. A cheap Chinese made tank is gonna leak sooner or later

15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I watched a few videos on tank coatings. The Redkote "looked" thicker to me. The Por 15 seemed (no pun intended) thinner and is silver colored so you can easily see where it covered. Then I realized that thinner might be better....or just as good anyway because it should seep into any void or crack more easily. I have a "job box" that I'm converting to a cleaning tank so I can put larger things (engine blocks) in it and let them bathe for a few days. Turns out it is becoming a lot more effort than expected. The bottom of the box is not watertight afterall. The powder coat/paint(?) is between the seam and can't get it out, so welding it isn't much fun. Anyway I got it from a waterfall to a few leaks by welding both inside and outside. After several trys I got the bottom down to one leak. Started filling it fuller, and back to several leaks as the corners weren't completely watertight either. So after fighting this thing for a couple weeks, I blasted all the seams to bare metal and am now in the process of using the Por 15. I painted several coats on the bottom and vertical seams. Now I'm flipping the box over and tilting it so the sealer lays in the corner of each seam. I let it sit for a couple of hours to get it semi-dry so it won't run off, then flip it to the next corner. When I'm done with this exercise in futility, it either ain't gonna leak or its gonna make a nice target. We'll see......... According to directions I'm supplosed to wait 96 hours after I'm done before I test it.

Anyway, to not leave the wrong impression about the thin consistency. I can't just flop this tank around like someone can with a gas tank, so I have to brush it where I want it. It seems to make a thin coat well which would work good when trying to get it to flow around inside a gas tank. I would flop the tank with some in it, then let it sit for a little while and pour some more in and do it again. ;)