Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 51 Merc flathead starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Shawn, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Big Shawn

Big Shawn

Can I install the starter with the gear drive apart like this or does it need to be against the spring part of the drive? Only ask because it won’t go back against the spring part.

Attached Files:

2. theboss20

theboss20

The drive is designed to lock in the out position and can be released by touching the body of the drive to a wire wheel on a grinder that will over-run the locking mechanism and release. If none of that works than Yes you can install the starter with the drive extended...just make sure you mesh properly with the flywheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dana barlow likes this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is yours an auto? Starters are different for an auto and a stick.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Photo of an automatic starter. stater photo.jpg

6. Big Shawn

Big Shawn

7. Big Shawn

Big Shawn

Yes, the Merc-O-Matic option on this one.

8. Big Shawn

Big Shawn

Another question...Installing it, the 2 long bolts that go through the housing into the bell housing...I see the 2 nuts holding the bolts on in your photo. If I take those nuts will it compromise the starter or I can install the starter and then put the housing over the stater itself then insert the 2 long bolts and it will suck up and tighten to the bell housing?

9. theboss20

theboss20

Use duct tape around the two parts of the case so you can slide the starter in with the bolts without the nuts and it won’t disassemble on you...it’s a real pain on this design if the armature comes out of the brushes...

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Big Shawn, NO, No No! The starter must be installed as an assembled unit. The two small nuts in the attachment photo you showed were put there by the previous owner to keep the starter armature and field coils in the outer case together as a unit. You cannot install one separate from the other. Don't cven try.
    Go back and read the attachment I posted that shows and tells one way to assemble the start and install it as a single unit. You can also use the duct tape idea. The bottom line is that you must keep the two end plates aligned with the bolt holes so that the starter can be installed without coming apart.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211141&highlight=convert+starter+12v

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

13. Big Shawn

Big Shawn

Good looking out guys, thank you! Now back to the original question at hand...can I install the starter the way it looks in my photo with that gap where my finger is or does that lower part need to butt up against the spring and then install?

14. theboss20

theboss20

Asked and answered...

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Big Shawn, With the starter held in a bench vise , attach a pair of jumper cables and see how bendix engages.
    That will give you a good clue.