Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Jul 22, 2020.

1. I think what you have drawn up suits your car just fine-Stogy’s car with his hand made top gives some inspiration for your project. I’d say go for it!

clem likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Yes...:)
    Hamber @Koz Fabbed the Top... @HomemadeHardtop57 is the one that is behind the Aviation Inspired Coupe (I'm 3rd Owner and it's interesting while my Coupe has an Postwar Aviation kick going on...it's more a civilianized/Passive aircraft look rather than Olds's as aluded full on salute to the WW11...I get that as many really have great admiration and connection to War and many Hotrods had doodads and still do varied levels because it effected so many in the Hotrod Custom movements. I appreciate the fact my Coupe is not too overdone...

I did make my Aluminum Glovebox complimenting the theme...

RS_20180525_185254smlr.jpg

@olds vroom you aren't going to chop your Top so that will affect the Look...Mine is Chopped about 2.5-3"...Not saying it won't work it will just look different...Don't they all...;)

Koz cleverly laid and formed the top on the Sport Coupe looking very reminiscent of WW11 Riveted Aircraft Skin and also flowing much like its former Non Folding Canvas Top...This Top was wheeled on an English Wheel with as Somebody Mentioned a Cardboard Template used for patterns...It's truly a work of Art and surly challenging...

AJ1 (2).jpg

0_20180915_162211.jpg

RS_20180527_184427smlr.jpg

I see you want Coupe like Roof Radius's so maybe that's the answer to your vision...a Modded Steel Coupe Top...You could Use a Non Ford Coupe (3 window, Chev, Pont, Chrysler) as a Doner...you obviously like slicing, dicing and fitting....And the essence of Jalopy is A Mix of many...

The Fab Shots below From Koz's or Jerry's Shop...Note how top flows and meets and falls similar to OEM Fabric...

top1.jpg

top2.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  3. olds vroom

olds vroom

I live in upstate ny , I’ve been to ever junkyard I know of for miles around but nobody has anything older than 92 any more everything around here has been crushed many years ago. It’s the fun of building it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Koz

Koz

Thanks for the kind words Stogy! The pics were taken in my shop, Jerrys', (Homemadehardtop57). shop is way nicer. I might suggest the lines similar to the one in my avatar. This "flows" very nicely on most "A"s. I'm building a somewhat larger, but equally flowing top for my Vicky. This top weighed 9lbs. with the upholstery and easily lifted off for cruising. In the pics it is covered in 5/16" closed cell foam and ready for the Hartzcloth. I would fab the top with .032 aluminum and a substructure of 1"x1/8" aluminum. Eastwood now has the riveting supplies. I get my stuff from the Yardstore.com, which sells mostly aircraft fabrication supplies on the cheap.

100_0983_zps26d2013e.jpg

hfh, scott27, Cosmo49 and 4 others like this.
  5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Koz's top looks really good...........

Stogy and Koz like this.
  6. 6sally6

6sally6

a little bit 'different' suggestion...What about pick out an after market cloth top that "really-does-it-for-you" and then cover it with fiberglass?!
    Would that work?
    I like the look you have except the rear glass area. As stated....too straight up!
    If you could make one with a reverse angle in the rear deck area and a little taller in the rear coming down some while going forward.
    I've seen cloth tops like this but you should be able to fab something from metal on the long cold winters you experience......
    6sally6

Stogy likes this.
  7. Reidy

Reidy

It looks like you came to the right place for opinions. I don't mind the shape. My opinion would be to embrace the look and paint it black so it gives the appearance of a soft top with the advantages of a hard top.

Steve from down under

8. olds vroom

olds vroom

Koz that looks awesome and I like what you did with stogies car although it’s not the look I have in mind. I originally did a pick of top that looked a lot like yours then I found a convertible top frame and adapted it for my car , that’s what I have now, I can still pick the whole roof off with just undoing a few clips. My whole idea was to make a coupe replica top to change things up once in a while the best of both worlds. No different than changing a wheel and tire combo.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Koz, tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way back in the late 40s early 50s there was a 30s desoto grilled Hotrod 'Cobb' comes to mind...he had a removable Hardtop...so to me you must find a doner which could be any suitable vehicle in the Hamb period or if you could use something newer in inspiration as @edwardlloyd did with his Pizza Van T.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tom Cobbs...

Quoted from a Hotrod article...

'Tom fabricated a removable roof from steel to chase additional records in the Rusetta Timing Associaton's coupe classes. He fitted the doors with bolt-on window frames. This configuration was shown in HOT ROD's Trend Book No. 102 (1951). While slightly ungainly, the hardtop served its purpose and put Tom into the Circle of Champions at the '51 Bonneville Nationals after pushing the D/Modified Coupe mark to 155.32 mph.'

This was not a visually popular decision but Tom's Hotrod was already outside of the box before the Top was added...he was a purpose driven Racer still had his own style but winning was more important...and he did...

Tom-Cobbs-Jimmy-3-71.jpg

Tom-Cobbs-1951-dressed-up-car.jpg
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/tom-cobbs-record-player/

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Jet96, scott27 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WW2Hotrod.jpg

:rolleyes:...an Evolution based on life experiences...I thought about Hotrodders in Wartime on Airbases with in Field Vehicles and the mechanics Riveting up an Aviation Inspired Jalopy to dash out for whatever needed the support even down to Aircraft Tires on the Rims...There was a Burma Squadron sporting www tires...

20200726_045300.jpg

1957ish Roof Doner...Jeep FC150...

modern-jeep-forward-control-rendered-as-the-electric-truck-we-need_17.jpg

The Heavily Modded Roof is sit down over your existing Windshield and rests, Fastens and seals to the Rub areas with adequate removable fasteners...The Door Frame Fastens separately to the top of the doors I added a Model A Style Visor Hinged to Aid in Aircraft Operations...

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    scott27 likes this.
  12. Koz

Koz

I have the back part of a roof, most of the door tops etc to make the roof you want. They are in Deer Lake Pa. and you can have them if we can get them to you.

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Me!
    Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.