Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Overheating SBC (time to expose my ignorance)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Jul 20, 2020.

1. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's one SWEEEEEETTT lookin' ride!!! I've always had a soft spot for '56's!
    On a small side note, if you still have the old head gasket, try comparing the coolant transfer holes to see if they are the same size, Like 6sally6 said earlier. I've also had perfectly functioning thermostat's start sticking, after they were exposed to air.

belair and High test 63 like this.
  2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I understood that before I asked the question, but it doesn't mean that there wasn't something that may have triggered his Dad to think there was a problem. My Mother also suffered from that yet she could also be surprisingly sharp at certain times.
    As the OP said, there was an alternator noise that originated the response that something was wrong. I simply wondered if there may have actually been some basis for what he thought was wrong. My best wishes to the OP and his Dad as I know how difficult it can be. The OP must be a very good son to attempt to fix something he knew wasn't wrong just to appease his father's wishes.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Put your timing light on it and check timing. Then bring the rpm's up and watch to see if the timing mark moves indicating it is advancing. Do this before you pull the heads! If you don't see it advancing, then repair or replace the old HEI distributor.

Russco likes this.
  4. I guess I can learn something here, but isn't 4-6 degrees btdc slow? Shouldn't it be 10-12 degrees?

5. belair

belair

I'll go back and mess with timing as suggested. Anything beats yanking off a head in this climate.

427 sleeper and Tim like this.
  6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Was it a head gasket for a 400 chevy ? May be different from other head gaskets. Also thinking timing

Xtrom likes this.
  7. sdluck

sdluck

Most of my hei are @ 12 to 14 btdc and all in by 2600 for a total of 34 to 36 btdc with out vacuum hoked up. With vacuum on manifold vacuum

squirrel likes this.
  8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Is it running like it’s slow on timing or that the timing is way different than it was before ? Does it feel lazy? Any run on or pinging? Most body shops have those coolant recovery/ fill systems that hook up with an 5gallon jug and air hose that are good on modern cars with systems that are prone to air locking. I’d try that before pulling a head.
    By the way, sorry about your dad. I’m going through the same thing with my dad, not long ago he wrecked his 22,000 original mile, 4 speed Galaxy into his 38 Deluxe Coupe trying to park it in the garage.

9. belair

belair

Going to retard the timing about 10 degrees when I get home from work, see what that does. Seems to have plenty of pep, doesn't ping under acceleration.

10. squirrel

squirrel

You might want to see what the timing does when you rev up the engine...

I doubt it needs to be retarded. It might need to be advanced.

Tim, bobss396 and ClayMart like this.
  11. belair

belair

Thanks @squirrel I always get those confused.

guthriesmith likes this.
  12. All the Chevy's I worked on liked to have 38 deg. total.!

just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

belair likes this.