Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods for a 2in roloc what grit do you use for paint removal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old_chevy, Jul 21, 2020.

1. old_chevy

old_chevy
    from USA

I'm using a 2" Scotch-Brite™ Roloc™ Brown Coarse Surface Conditioning Disc to remove autobody paint for spot welding. I think it is a 50 grit. Maybe I should go to a medium or fine.

2. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I use 80 for most things like that, but I know guys who prefer 24 and 36.

3. 50-80
    those others remove to much metal in my opinion

squirrel likes this.
  4. When working on the thin tin as you do yes the 24/36 is a little rough..

But myself I prefer the 24 grit and get the 3 inch, Run the edge off (never seem to get the center used) and then put it on the 2 inch and cut down to the usable part, Cut in a stop sign shape for nice crisp edges.. Been doing this for years.
    Even use the 8 inch disc from grinder cut to fit your hand grinder that is 5 inch.. Keep recycling down to nothing..

20200721_201012.jpg
    20200721_201448.jpg
    The bigger one started as a 8inch on the grinder.

5. old_chevy

old_chevy
    from USA

6. If ya wanna strip paint get yourself some of these...the best tool for the job

94507772-FB40-40E0-AB82-E32E82FD5E95.jpeg

7. indyjps

indyjps

You's guys are pretty picky. I mark the hole for rosette weld and use anything close to grind the paint on parent part. Plenty of times I dont want to remove the panel and refit it, I use a scratch awl thru the drilled hole and scrape away as much paint as I can from the parent part to allow an arc and burn that F'r in.

8. That would be my choice on steel. Those will remove less metal than any sanding/grinding disc while still being aggressive enough to quickly remove paint. Two downsides IMO; one is if you run them too fast they tend to melt and smear onto the base metal. A fresh disc will clean that right up. Two, you'll go through more than a few. I use the hell out of those things and buy in bulk from these guys.. http://www.keenabrasives.com/Surface Conditioning Discs - Type R.htm

9. old_chevy

old_chevy
    from USA

Do you use course, medium or fine for paint removal?

10. Depends on the base material. Steel base with a automotive top coat paint, I'd use brown or maybe maroon. Rattle-can paint on steel, probably a blue.

Softer materials like aluminum, die-cast and brass, go finer by at least one grade. I absolutely love these for repairing/restoring/prepping aluminum for polishing. HUGE time-saver....

11. old_chevy

old_chevy
    from USA

I find that both course and medium remove the factory paint quickly. The factory paint is an old enamel. With paint removal using a roloc and Surface Conditioning Discs should I expect scratches in the base metal?

12. ANY abrasive will leave scratches and remove base material to a certain extent, but surface conditioning discs when compared to an 'equivalent grit' sanding/grinding disc will do it much less. They're named the way they are because they are designed to limit their action to the surface only as much as possible. If you're looking for a scratch-free surface, say trying to remove paint from plated items, use a chemical strip.

With all that said, if you're trying to remove paint from large areas they're not the best choice. But for small or difficult-to-get-into spots, they work great.