Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally got rid of the disc brakes.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sponge, Jul 18, 2020.

1. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

After staring at these disc breaks for the last 7 years, I finally swapped them out. IMG_2572.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet! Are those the Lincoln backing plates from Speedway?

-Abone.

kadillackid and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

cool, nothing worse than modern parts mucking up an otherwise traditional car....

4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Nice job. that one screams Hot Rod.

427 sleeper and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. Any difference on how it stops?

6. sdroadster

sdroadster

To all the disc brake guys out there, you can't steer a skidding tire. Too much braking potential can cause you a lot of trouble. Your car looks good with the internal expanding brakes.

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

disc brakes suck. there...i said it...now let the war start

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Looks good, love those finned drums. I'd be a little concerned about the scrub radius though.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! While were are on the subject, is there a stock wheel that has an offset that covers more fins, and keeps things inboard more? Bob

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

Yes there is. I'm not sure what the original application was for my wheels but they have the external nubs that fit a '50 Merc cap and you can barely see the Buick fins. I even put a 1/2" spacer in so that more of the Buick drum was visible.

dana barlow and The37Kid like this.
  11. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

That there is true.

12. Yea, whatever. o_O
    I'm flashing back to that drum brake car I once had back in the 60s. It could barely slow down after the quarter at the drag strip for the hairpin and return lane. Trying to do a U-turn at 45mph+ is no fun, let me tell ya. :confused:

dsiddons, 6inarow, ffr1222k and 6 others like this.
  13. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like all things, it's relative to the framework of what you are talking about. Disk brakes were developed for heavy cars, and work well there. They are not needed on a 2500 pound roadster, and can if fact create issues.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

FYI, you're less likely to skid the tire with disc brakes than you are with drum brakes. Dsic brakes do not increase "braking potential", they increase feel and control, they don't fade as quickly as drum brakes, and they don't lose braking capacity when wet as drum brakes do.

I don't want to rain on the OP's parade here, or turn this thread into another argument over disc brakes vs drum, just clarifying some misconceptions here.

15. The Shift Wizard
    I ran Drum Brakes back in the 60's & 70's with No Problem
    on my 64 Chevelle/L88 850hp and if you work the Brakes
    well you have No Problem.
    I am running Drum Brakes on my 50 Merc. 327/300 hp.& it Stops Great!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

16. Fordors

Fordors

Properly modulating pressure on the pedal will always produce a good stop no matter the vehicle.
    So discs were developed for heavy cars? Well Stateside we had the 1949 Crosley Super Sport that had disc brakes. The calipers were from an aircraft application and didn’t work well in automotive use but I don’t think there were any particular stopping or handling issues. Chrysler did offer a brake loosely termed a disc brake in ‘49-‘51, that was on a heavy car but I guess they never proved popular with buyers. But really, it was the British that put discs on many of their 1950’s light weight sports cars.

17. Did the same, removed previous owners GM disc conversion, 40 Lincoln drum upgrade. Actually worked better.

Attached Files:

18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I love having discs on my shoebox.

My next rod will be an A, and will definitely not have discs....

I had a 68 c10 with drums and it braked terribly. I guess it depends on the ride for me.

But to the OP, those look absolutely beautiful. Nice.

dirty old man and Montana1 like this.
  19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

yeah my old GTO defiantly stopped much better once i got rid of the drums and put on the disc brakes. never looked back once i did.

6inarow, ffr1222k, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  20. I know that's what they did back in the day, but I have Speedway GM 11" disc kit on mine and sometimes it scares me in a panic stop at highway speeds. I don't think I want to go backwards.
    (Did I really say that?) :eek::D

21. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

You say your brakes work great.....do they work as good as the new shit boxes with 4 wheel disks that slam on the brakes in front of you because the cell phone rang???

rustednutz, 6inarow, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  22. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes disk brakes have been around before US auto manufacturers started using them on cars. So to elaborate on my original statement, US auto manufacturers developed their disk brakes for their heavy cars. But the 12x2.5" Buick brakes on the OPs roadster came off a 4500 pound car. I think that they are more than adequate on a 2500 pound roadster. On a light car too much brake is just as problematic as too little brake.

dana barlow and dirty old man like this.
  23. I guess all the worries about brakes are why most people hardly drive old cars.

warbird1, Cosmo49, Algoma56 and 2 others like this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My RPU has big rear drums and MT products Lincoln front drums and it stops really well.

I don’t regret not using the front discs I started with at the beginning of my build.

220E24E2-4690-4542-B485-6F6D233E6DA0.jpeg 4B23DE6F-2AF9-44F6-AF25-E0255BB0AAC0.jpeg

25. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Nice, Lincoln look is tough to beat...what do the rears look like?

26. You have a single master cylinder handling your brake system too? Wouldn't want anything else 'mucking up' a traditional car.

Blues4U, 6inarow and Moriarity like this.
  27. All of my stuff has a single master and drum brakes and they stop fine, all I drive in the summer is old stuff, highway, city and gravel. They stop fine, I’ve had to make several panic stops for deer and traffic and so far I’m still alive. Are there advantages to disc brakes? Yes, they are cheaper to build better at self cleaning and less prone to fade. Are drums dangerous? No, do they require some maintenance? Yes. Everyone is terrified to have a single master, ever lost the front on a dual setup? The rear does about 20% of the braking. Almost like having nothing. I keep up my cars and don’t think twice about driving them.

I would wager a high percentage of cars with brake “upgrades” are actually worse than if they had been left alone, judging by the horrendous amounts of misinformation about properly putting together a brake system on here.

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes I do and have had no problems. But I maintain my cars. I guess some people do not?

29. I have to change oil more than once a year as well, mostly because I put a lot of miles on my cars.

1953naegle and Moriarity like this.