Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quick change for a lot of change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Been buying and selling quick changes for awhile.....getting better units as I sell and getting extra gear sets to boot.... and finally I have a pretty nice one with the Wilwood disk set up with movable spring perch's....

kidcampbell71 and High test 63 like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well a blower is a future consideration to use on one of my inliners. I have a 3-71 , I just need to collect some pieces down the road , go through it and get on the blower bandwagon. I love the sound of a good whine .:)

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. first one I ever had was a Hyland machine unit, put new tubes in it cause' the old ones were bent a hundred ways from sunday. That rear end wasn't new by any stretch when I got it, lots of different brackets had been welded on during it's life up till then, got tubes from Tobias speed equipment, in Pa. back then, talked to Toby himself when I phoned in the order, He took time to explain the process for getting the old tubes out and the re-install. Guy was top of the heap in northeast dirt mod's at the time, but He treated me like the only customer on earth. That was a big deal for a kid trying just to break in to that kind of racing. I never forgot that and always tried to do the same with folks. The old hyland unit last two seasons for me......howled and complained, no good gear choices, lots of full contact issues(dirt track life at the time, and new guy screw-ups).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Dick was one of the best and built a lot of race cars .

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. High test 63

High test 63

I spyed a frankland at the local scrap yard, it was in an old dirt modified chassis. I quickly purchased it for $75.oo.
    It has a big offset and wide 5 hubs. Been sitting in the barn for a while and I'm getting serious about scrounging the parts to make it street worthy for my roadster. After figuring the cost to upgrade the bop 10 bolt posi carrier and gear set etc that is in the car now, it makes it easier to justify the cash it will take to get the Q.C. up to street specs.
    I will be scrounging 9inch axels and brakes and asking pals for machine work
    And doing the dirty work myself.
    Another point in favor for me is that the frankland "factory" is just about 40 minutes from my house.
    This was a timely thread and fireing me up to make progress.

kidcampbell71 and 41rodderz like this.
  6. Slowly coming together, started with a beat up centre section, with the help of some parts and priceless info from Bruce @ GearheadsQCE I’ll get there.
    I’m enjoying the build process and the experience I’m getting out of this, probably would be cheaper to buy a complete unit, but without the satisfaction and knowledge. E0210737-44FC-446E-9B80-5FAA00C00156.jpeg

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You can't buy a new one, that will compare to that, in the looks department.

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I see several of my customers are watching and contributing. It is very satisfying to me to help others to achieve their dreams. I guess that's what I liked about being an Auto Shop teacher. As I read each of the above posts, I started thinking about what I would suggest to each of the guys in their Quickchange builds. Don't want to derail the thread, but I'm open to questions and would love to hear from you.

And, to those that think it's expensive to build a hot rod here, just ask the guys from, Australia, Canada, England, Scotland, and Germany. Shipping costs for parts, pieces and complete rear ends could lead a guy to collecting stamps.

9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Got an old GN rear a Winters with the deep super cover, and put new tubes in it. Everything else inside looks good, no abnormal wear, sticking with the GN style hubs, altho getting new Winters hubs with 5x4.75 bolt pattern and 1/2 inch fine studs. Might have to contact Gearheds QCE for a different differential, as its got a locker, and not my first choice for the street. Its going in a T roadster so noise is not going to be a consideration. I love the whine of straight cut gears...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I ordered this Winters brand new from Speedway.
    I wanted a good new rear end and to me it was worth every dollar it took to get that big Winters box delivered to my driveway.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wint...980-Nostalgia-V8-Quickchange-Plain,37418.html

I love it. Just installed a set of helical gears in it.
    5EE7815A-856B-4460-AE22-3D5F93BB2243.jpeg E6AC1EA7-ECA5-4EBC-ADF2-5656E569EB68.jpeg

To complete it and stick to the new parts theme I also ordered a Currie big brake kit at the same time. (Shipped in the same box) :cool:

4C3347E2-9449-439E-B976-7524D8D993FF.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    41rodderz and HotRod33 like this.
  11. speedshifter

speedshifter

I tried to order helical gears for v8 qc from Speedway Mtrs. They are closing out on Halibrand gears.& don't have the set I need. Is Halibrand still in business ? Do you know of any other source for these gears? Greg

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Winters makes 'em, I sell 'em.
    PM me:)

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nice:)

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  14. I got mine from GearheadQCE about 30 years ago, drove it for a while and added helical gears and a DPI Black Gold unit to it now it's as quiet as can be and works without noise or clicking on turns. it's behind a 425 Nailhead Buick and Turbo 400, in my 29 Ford roadster, working great for all these years. JW