Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 2x4 carb spacing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 7, 2020.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Looks like useless and overpriced phony shit ...

mgtstumpy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. I've bought multiple vacuum secondary Holley 450 carbs... Maybe they don't offer that version anymore? Probably half of the used ones I've bought were Ford service replacements. You needed to check jetting as many were jetted for a specific application, but that was generally the only difference. A few have had oddball fuel inlets, but that's easily fixed with a float bowl change.

3. carbking

carbking

Another option that would bolt directly to the intake with no adapters needed would be the Stromberg type 4A carbs used on the 1952~1954 Buick.

And while I really like MOST Carters, the Strombergs (opinion) are the very best of the early 4-barrels. Buick quit using them because they cost more than the Carters and Rochesters, not because of issues (well, other than financial issues).

They are also "H.A.M.B. friendly" ;)

Jon.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Jon,
    How hard are these to come by? Also, how hard are they to convert to 2x4? Thanks for your input. After a quick Google, I see rebuilts with the asking price of $900. I realize the internet is not a great reflection of reality, but I wonder if these are hens teeth?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Care to share "list" numbers so a person would know what to look for ?

6. carbking

carbking

Well, they are not as common as Holleys, or e-clones; but they are not overly scarce. I am down to only a few, but have been selling them for 40 years without replenishing the inventory.

Each year used a different number:

1952: 7-92
    1953: 7-94
    1954: 7-98

Doesn't really matter which you choose, but best results if both are from the same year.

While you won't find parts at your FLAPS, virtually everything is available mail order.

$900. for a professionally restored (recolored, replated, etc.) and fully guaranteed unit is not out of line, but maybe a bit high for a rebuilt without the cosmetics and/or warranty. If you want to do your own rebuilding, look for cores that have a missing or broken starter switch, as the switch is 10~15 percent of the price; and you won't need it.

As far as conversion to duals? Not really an issue. And the Buick fuel curve is very close to that of a Cadillac, so calibration will probably be easier (other than mail order on parts) than a new A/M Holley or e-clone that is calibrated for a small block Chevy.

Jon

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  7. egads

egads

So your saying I should take these off?

[​IMG]

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  8. And if they don't fit turn them sideways.....

Roothawg likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not you...if they work for you, great, leave them on. I'd use 4bbls.

VANDENPLAS and Roothawg like this.
  10. I ran dual 600cfm Carters on a very mild 350 chevy and had absolutely no problems with driveability, they really only open up for the amount of air the engine pulls over the secondaries to open them. Hooking them up for one to one linkage is very simple too, if you decide on the 500 cfm Carters I don't think you'll have any issues.
    20200707_141645.jpg

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Roothawg like this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Jon,
    I am intrigued with this idea. I need to do some research.

loudbang likes this.
  12. https://altoona.craigslist.org/pts/d/johnstown-holley-cfm-tunnel-ram-dual/7156602368.html

loudbang likes this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

465s on my FE
    82042253_2389408721389855_7366943732500791296_n(1).jpg

Roothawg, egads and loudbang like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

What linkage did you use?

15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

That FE setup above is pretty tight, but how about this ?

DSC00585m.jpg

A Chevrolet, aftermarket manifold (Renegade) modified to bolt onto a Studebaker engine.
    The lower part of the picture is the front, where the thermostat housing used be, along with the water crossover. The hole on the back is where the EGR port used to be.
    With the carburetors at the engine angle of 8°, the front carburetors base plate ear, is about .03" from the lower bowl screw of the rear carburetor.

Mike

16. I'm running straight linkage on it so just made a rod with threaded ends and put aircraft rod ends on it. Haven't tried progressive linkage on this engine; I know the dual quads on the '331 in my roadster worked a lot better with straight linkage.

egads and Roothawg like this.