Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kkoa Salina Ks 2020

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jamoke, Feb 3, 2020.

1. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Magic Dragon at Bagnell Dam, in Lake Ozark, Mo has been moved to Sept 11th-13th. It has a 1000 car limit though.
    Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

@Jamoke asked it what the criteria is for entry. According to KKOA show is open to 1969 and older Kustoms and hot rods. Anything 1970 and up must me what is called a NCC, or New Concept Custom. That means it has to be noticeably lowered and have noticeable kustom body modifications.

I've been going since they moved this national event to Salina in about 2004-2005 (I think) Spectator at first until I got my Chevy on the road a few days before the 2009 show, where I debuted it.

Yes, I have seen the street machines and ho-hum street rods there. Even parked next to a stock body blue '67 Mustang a couple years ago. Maybe it was modified for performance, aka a hot rod. It wasn't my thing. I am there to see traditional kustoms. But, funny thing... for being at a kustom show with a mild kustom, I noticed a lot of spectators would walk past my Chevy to look at the Mustang. To each his own I guess. Myself, I walked right past a lot of stockers and rusty parts welded together into a ... whatever... to look at kustoms. And there are plenty to look at.

As for the Drags, they have gotten too big/crowded for my taste. It will never happen, but I wish the KKOA would reserve the first or last hour of the drags just for kustoms. It would be a thing of beauty to see shiny, skirted, lowered works of art going against each other. Just for an hour or so. Not even the vintage gassers or fenderless hot rods... just kustoms. Then the rest of the time, run the yellow Olds Cutlass, and the pro-Street Triumph, and the Camaros and Mustangs and GTO's etc...

Anyway, if you've never been, you ought to go, even from 10 hours away. You'll find something of interest and likely meet some good people, maybe make some new friends.

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You can say that again.

4. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Anyway, if you've never been, you ought to go, even from 10 hours away. You'll find something of interest and likely meet some good people, maybe make some new friends.

Someone once called me a literalist.:)

Oh yeah, thanks for capturing me with some of your electrons Mick.

View attachment 4571389

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  5. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

Great show I went to 5 KKOA's in salina with a 6 hour drive,well worth it.My kustom was even on tv show my classic car while there.

6. jvan

jvan

Your 54 Delray just keeps better looking every year!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Has anyone heard of there will be the KKOA show in Salina this year?

54delray likes this.
  8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

was wondering the same thing

54delray likes this.
  9. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

kustomkempsofamerica.com Website has info. click on 'in between coats' link in site.

They moved their Maggie Valley show from mid may to later in year, but says Salina is 100% on as scheduled.

@jvan Thanks for the compliment. You are one of those new friends I made at Salina. That beautiful mild kustom Olds of yours was next to me in '09. I was wiping and re-wiping rain off the Chevy when you offered your water blade. Salute of my twice pipes to you, J.

chryslerfan55, Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  10. Okay guys, it's been a while since anybody has commented on this thread, so I thought I'd drag it back out of the cobwebs.
    Now that we are about five weeks away, I'm wondering who is still planning to go if the show goes on. From what I've been reading and hearing through the grapevine, it looks like it's going to happen.
    I'm planning on going, but there are a few things I might have to work out to be able to go. How about you guys? If they have it will you go? Will the whole virus deal keep you away? Curious minds want to know..........will you be at the 40th Leadsled Spectacular? E

11. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Ed, I'll be there. Got a personal email back right away from Jerry Titus on May 30th when I asked if it was still on. 100% on! Looking forward to it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Kan Kustom likes this.
  12. Very cool Bill! We going to hang out on our corner again and talk customs? E

chryslerfan55, Sancho and 54delray like this.
  13. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Does a one-legged duck swim in a circle?

jvan, chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  14. Awesome! E

Sancho and 54delray like this.
  15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll be there and I talked to 12 other guys today and they are going. We are all Looking forward to it!

Hey Bill and Ed where is the corner? I promise I won’t say a word, I’ll just set back and listen... Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am going, hell or high water !

Sonofabob and 54delray like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

18. Aw heck, Mick, you're input is always welcome! "Our" corner is the same one we've hung out on for years. Custom folks stop in and say hi and we have some great discussions. Usually @Sancho and his lovely bride stop by, as well as Jim (@stanlow69) and his Dad Jerry. Man is Jerry a character! I can listen to his stories all day. @drdave has been known to come by, as well as Jeff Myers (@finkd), and of course we hang out with Bill (@54delray) and his better half Karen (sorry Bill, couldn't resist ;)). Colorado KKOA Colonel Frank Lund always stops by, but his visits are brief as he always has a ton of car show duties to attend to. There are many others that stop by that aren't HAMBers and many that are that I can't recall names.
    The last handful of years when Dan Cuellar comes out from California, he shares his canopy and shade with us. One of the highlights last year was listening to Dan and his wife Marissa tell stories of old time customs, car shows and cruising in California. Dan and Marissa are two of the nicest people around and I'm proud to call them friends!
    If all goes as planned, most of the Metalflake Misfits will be there--even @PasoJohn! We might have to send out a snatch and grab party to get him if he resists, but hopefully he can make it :D.
    Anybody out there that wants to can stop by. We might look weird, but most folks think we're alright :rolleyes:. Besides, if you don't stop by, how are you going to get your commemorative W.E.H.T. button that we've been giving away for a few years now? We hope that these will be cherished keepsakes for custom folks many years from now when we look back at the time when we were all recalling the kool old customs of the KKOA from the "old days" right here on the HAMB.
    Man, all this talk of being with the custom family again gets me excited! Give me the keys, I'm jumping in the car and heading to Salina!
    Just 34 days to go..........! E

drdave, loudbang, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  19. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Our group is still planning to attend. If something drastic occurs pertaining to the virus or political unrest, we will adjust as necessary. Every event we normally attend has been cancelled or pushed back into the Fall. We are looking forward to a nice road trip(7 hrs.) and the wide open spaces of Kansas. We always enjoy the customs, watching the top chops and everything else about this event.

Kan Kustom, 54delray and OG lil E like this.
  20. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Still going, actually working on the charging system on my little roadster to make the trip (a whole 50 miles.)

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 54caddycoupe

54caddycoupe

Hey Mick, I plan to drive up from Texas . Do you know for sure if the show is still on ?? Due to the Virus upswing in Texas they started canceling things again.. Bummer.. Hope the Salina show is still a GO !

54delray likes this.
  22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Latest Iv'e heard it is on, even the races... at one point the city of Salina didn't want to staff the help to set up the concrete barricades on each side of the track. My understanding some private supporters of the show stepped up and will be volunteering equipment and efforts to make it happen.

23. 54caddycoupe

54caddycoupe

That's great news !

stanlow69 and 54delray like this.
  24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

For those of you that have been to the old airport runway for the races, these pics are from the first time they had races during the car show weekend. Lots has changed since then... I guessing it was around 1990ish. thumbnail - 2020-07-04T231139.816.jpg View attachment 4743845

fegsta and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The first year they held the event in Salina was 2005... I deleted the off topic camaro pic

54delray likes this.
  26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That was when kkoa got involved, before that I believe it was called central city street rods and we had races during the car show weekend. I do believe your correct on the 2005 date with KKOA

Moriarity likes this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Didn`t they only have 2 cars race the first year in 2005. One of Starbird`s car and a Model A.

54delray likes this.
  28. Butch M

Butch M

does anyone know is it still on

54delray likes this.
  29. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

As far as I know yes, will post here if I hear differently.

30. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

84kkoaGatepicture55ford.jpg KarenMeRollingIntoOakdalePark2019.jpg

Sorry, Nope. It's NOT on. You can read comments on the KKOA facebook page, official announcement will come out tomorrow, 7/8/as I understand.

I already registered, KKOA is welcome to keep that, in fact I think I'll go and register for the August Maggie Valley KKOA show. Not that I can get the vacation time to go, just something I want to do.

Here's me and a buddy at the gate, 1984 Des Moines, and me and my wife, 2019 Salina

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020