Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exhaust help

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Lowbow38, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Lowbow38

Lowbow38

I have a 1938 Ford Pickup with a 350 SBC with headers. Engine is stock. I recently had from my header to the tail pipe replaced with 2 1/4 pipe and with 30 inch Smithy mufflers. Before it has 2 inch pipe with 24 in Smithy Mufflers and it was pretty quiet but had a lot of exhaust leaks that needed fix so I just had it all redone. Problem I’m having right now is that it’s loud as hell now at lower RPM’s and the speeds of 5mph to 50mph. Then when I hit 60mpm gets pretty quiet with a nice tone to it. My question is what can I do to quiet the droning sound in the cab for the lower speeds mentioned. I’m also running Duals. Any advice on how to make this better would be great

2. Is there an "H- or X-pipe" between the two sides?
    If not, adding one would go a long way toward quieting it, reducing the drone, and maybe increasing low rpm power.

Baron, pitman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Lowbow38

Lowbow38

There isn’t a H pipe between the duals. I have read up a lot on that and that was a option I was thinking about doing.

4. Lowbow38

Lowbow38

It’s going to be a pretty tight fit since the pickup is low in the front end and everything underneath seems to be pretty cramped

5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where do the tail pipes end ?

Just Gary likes this.
  6. spanners

spanners

Needs a short "hotdog" (8") muffler put towards the rear. We used to call them resonators because they took the resonance or 'droning' out of the exhaust.

Baron and Desoto291Hemi like this.