Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Mercury skirt mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56MercMan, May 14, 2020.

1. 56MercMan

56MercMan

New here... I did a search both here and online with out much luck.

I have a 1956 mercury Monterey 4 door. I have what I believe to be factory skirts that I am trying to mount. My vehicle has mounts in the fender lip already. The skirts I bought have a center lever to clamp the top but the front and rear have no mounts at all. There is a slice in the metal where it looks like something would go. I have seen skirts that have rods that mount into the body side mounts but this skirt has no rods. I think there may be 2 different mounting options and I have one of each.

I found these mounting kits online (this one happens to be an ebay pic) but I am not sure how they mount. I tried looking for install pics or install instructions with no luck. Anyone able to help? Please let me know if I missed anything on the site or you need any clarifications.

[​IMG]

Pics of car mounts and skirt back:
    Skirt 5.jpg

Skirt 4.jpg

Skirt 3.jpg

Skirt 2.jpg

Skirt 1.jpg

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievable the skirts are different than the 56 Ford. The 4 lower ones in the photo go on the car fender lip spaced to keep the skirt from going too deep 2 on each side. The outside ones go on the front and inside ones on the back. The mounts look like my Ford which the “handle” inside the skirt would hook into the rear ones. I’ve never seen a center handle. There is also a rubber seal that’s attached to the skirt with staples. Hoping a Merc guy will chime in but the bracket kit looks like my Fords stock stuff or close to it.

3. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Thank you. The rubber seal was in horrible shape so I removed it and will be getting new. I already sanded, Primed and coated the inside of the skirts. They are making their way back to life

4. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Call me dense but I just realized what you were saying and what those mounting parts are. Those are for the body/car side mounts only. Those do not go on the skirt at all. I wonder if they even sell what I am looking for then. Mounts that go onto the skirt itself.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never seen skirts with mounts. They normally have "pins" on each end of the skirt that slip into the slots on the mounts you show. It's still possible that the twisting device pulls down allowing the side pins to go in the slots then pushes up and turns and latches in the center to hold them on.
    I can see it in my head but probably am not saying it correct. Do the skirts have about a 5/16 to 3/8" diameter pin on each end that sticks out about 1/2"? Mine has a hook on the front part of the skirt and the rear hold it on.

6. 56MercMan

56MercMan

No pins at all on the skirts. I can't even find evidence pins were ever there. That is why I am confused.

7. 54vicky

54vicky

may want to search 56 mercury FS you may find someone selling a pair.a search for a dude called fender skirt king used to see mention of that name over the years.there is a possibility of pics showing the skirt mounts.good luck

8. 56MercMan

56MercMan

I think I found out more info on these skirts. I believe they are foxcraft skirts and would take these foxcraft mounts to mount them.

The reason I think they are foxcraft is because I found a set of 59 mercury skirts that have the same stamping part # in them but say 59. For example they have "MER-59" stamped in them and have the exact same lever mechanism as mine.

Mine have "MER-56" stamped in them.

I am going to order up the foxcraft mounts and see if they work. worth the $7 gamble.

[​IMG]

DIYGUY and Hdonlybob like this.
  9. 54vicky

54vicky

glad you found the kit.you are right on the foxcraft I have a pair but put factory on mine personal choice.factory does use different mounting never gave much thought as to the foxcraft using a different mounting after reading your post today I went and looked and sure enough they have the slits.now I will have to find mounting kit if I decide to mount in future.LOL.you may want to find a way to reinforce the lip on fender where the latch clamps.the factory ones on mine are reinforced too many years since install but the reinforcementI am piece attached with pan head screws to allow skirt to fit.I am attaching pics showing my FC and one factory showing the mounting parts on skirt that we mentioned both attach in same manner at center PB250010.JPG PB250009.JPG PB250009.JPG PB250013.JPG PB250012.JPG PB250011.JPG PB250010.JPG PB250009.JPG PB250012.JPG

10. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Thanks for the pics and info.

Are you saying I should attach a little more metal to the cars body where the skirts attach to make it stiffer/stronger?

11. 54vicky

54vicky

I would a simple enough thing just use pan head bolts they do not need to be huge probably a -6 or similar.the clamp will allow for extra thickness.good luck.of course I mean on top of lip of 1/4 not on skirt side

56MercMan likes this.