Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Ford seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wutnxt, Jun 9, 2020.

1. wutnxt

wutnxt

I have both seats for my 2 dr sedan project but they have suffered the ravages of Meese (plural of mice?) I’m cleaning up all the stuffing, the springs are pretty rusted from mouse piss and all the fabric on the coils is toast and the springs are pretty rusty. I know how hard it is to find these seats but they almost look like a lost cause to me. I’m looking for suggestions or alternatives. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

go with a Glide seat

3. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Gonna day glide make one, but not cheap, or a good upholstery guy could take care of it, remove the springs, fit a base and foam it, if it’s done right you could end up with a much more comfortable seat.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. If the springs clean up, and you re-paint them, a good automotive upholstery shop, will tie springs together, and top with different densities of foam to make a nice, fitting seat. Check with local shops.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

If you go online and look for upholstery supplies I believe you can get replacement springs to repair your seats....Just a suggestion...

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have dealt with alot of 40 seats. On some the bottom springs were usable on some not at all. Usually the backs are good. Several have had the lwoer section done with layers of foam--turned out well and comfortable.
    Glide seats are nice but tend to break down on the outside corners. My ups guy added springs etc to the outside edge.

7. Whatever you do, don't sandblast the springs to clean them; that takes the temper out of them and they'll collapse in use. A chemical bath is your best bet...

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I just recently removed all the original '40 material, burlap and "meese" nest remains :D from a '40 sedan front seat I'm going to use in my coupe. The split backs are in good shape with no broken or rusted springs, but the seat springs, although now clean, "sanitized" and rust free, were too soft and unsupportive, even with help from a board and some foam. The trim shop suggested eliminating the bottom springs and making a wood base for foam, and that's what I did using 3/4" plywood and diagonally cut 2x4s. The result is a very comfortable and stable seat.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put a Glide seat in my '39 p/u. As said not cheap but high quality and worth it IMO. IMG_3837.JPG IMG_3842.JPG

67L36Driver and i.rant like this.
  10. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

What’s a ‘Glide’ seat? Link?

For future reference for my 2dr ‘40.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

67L36Driver likes this.
  12. I find myself on the same quest, just a tad late. I'm dealing with a 40 Coupe and want a 2 door sedan style seat. Trying to follow the Glide program but it looks like they don't make a split back bench for the 39-40 Sedan. Is that actually true? If it wasn't so late, I'd just call them.