Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shocks suggestions/advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rockin' Rob, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

Hi, gang. I am about to lower my '54 Ford Vic with aerostar springs (3" blocks in back). I'm not sure if I will need shorter shocks (front and or back) or if stock replacements would be ok without bottoming out on me. Any suggestions? Thanks much!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Total travel doesn't change, so stock shocks will be fine.

3. The rear should be fine being attached to bottom of spring.
    But the fronts is a different story using shorter coils .. You will need shorter shocks there, If it was just a spindle drop no need for change.

4. Rockin' Rob

Rockin' Rob

thanks for the advice, guys. I'm confused but I will figure it out. Probably going to just leave the stock shocks as is for now and see how they ride after the aerostar spring swap and 3" blocks in back. If no bottom out then I will go with stock replacements. No doubt it's time for some new ones either way.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You can use the Monroe shock charts to find shorter shocks with the same mountings.

6. RmK57

RmK57

If you use shorter shocks it may not drop the axle low enough to remove a rear tire. That is of coarse if you have to jack the car on the frame instead of the rear axle to remove a tire.

7. Make sure to check the rear end when lowering with blocks. My car has the stock rear and 3 inch blocks, and I cant get to the adjusters for the rear brakes. Also shoebox central sells most of the suspension and shocks for these cars.

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used V8 Monza shocks on my Shoebox with Aerostar springs. Don't remember the Monroe part # right off hand but they work well.