Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's alive!!! A 1957 Fargo Tale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Days like today remind me why I’m a mechanic and not a body man, just a shmuck who’s too cheap to pay a guy like Lloyd to do this stuff.[​IMG]

This is the passenger side, almost ready.

Gotta go get primer tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Stogy, VANDENPLAS, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. Lmao!!! C'mon man, it's more fun to do it yourself! :rolleyes: ain't nothing more fun than a block with sandpaper wrapped around it :D let's ya know you're living! o_O

Sandgroper, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. Livin’ yea that’s it....it was fun for about the first ten minutes! I like painting, bodywork not so much. Oh well that fender was the worst of it as far as the cab and front clip go.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. Are ya gonna retain the slant 6 or have you got a max wedge 413 hidden away? Street hemi?

Stogy, Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  5. It has a 360 and 727 in it now. Just a good runner, maybe one day I’ll build an engine for it. I keep thinking about it.

I do have the makings of a turbo slant six floating around...

6. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

Look good.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  7. Toddler nap time update, got the body work done on the other fender, painted the inside of the fender. Went and got primer, talked to my buddy who is a body man and laid out a plan to do the flames once I get the cab and front clip done. He has way more artistic talent than I do, I’ll spray the paint.
    IMG_1926.JPG

8. You're rolling man! Hammer down!

loudbang likes this.
  9. I’m trying!! My wife is on her seven days on right now so I’m limited on time, starting next Monday she is off for seven days so hopefully make a bunch of progress. I need to go pick up paint, I’m going to paint parts as I go so they aren’t sitting around in primer. Once everything is done I will put it back together, scuff the whole thing, Scott will come help me lay out the flames, then I’ll clear the whole thing.

He thinks I should do ghost flames, I say if we are doing all the work they should be bold, I’m thinking something like my Avatar, courtesy of @moose.

Sandgroper, loudbang and 61Cruiser like this.
  10. I agree, ghost flames don't fit on your truck. What's your ol lady do?

loudbang likes this.
  11. My wife, Rachel, works in the stores department at a pulp mill, she’s a parts person.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Sounds like a cool schedule :D

loudbang likes this.
  13. Yea it’s long days for her, she has a 45 min commute each way and works twelve hour days, but the seven days off is nice.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You did all that while your toddler was having a nap?! LOL. Better not let your wife/authorities find out....

chryslerfan55, Stogy and 57 Fargo like this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

She won't mind the commute as much as soon as she's driving your truck to work.

16. I work fast when I get a chance! The baby monitor is close by at all time. Lol

I did take the toddler to town to get primer.

17. Very little progress due to another distraction...a certain convertible project. Started disassembling the steering column to fill the shifter hole. Ordered more white paint to do the little stuff, hopefully more coming soon!

18. Spent a little time on the Fargo today, got the seats in and wired ( don’t tell anyone, but they are power....they were free!).
    IMG_2002.JPG
    Eventually they will get redone in white.

Polished some stainless bolts to hold the wiring harness under the dash. I’ll know they are there!
    IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG

So much for throwing it together so I could drive it...

19. Went out after supper and played some more, I still don’t like sanding....

IMG_2004.JPG

The cab is probably 70% sanded, a few small touch ups on previous bodywork and we are on our way, a coat of epoxy and some high build primer, a quick scuff and some color.

Did I mention I hate sanding...

20. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

I feel for ya! I hate sanding, actually all body work. Been working on the rear qtr of my Belair for a few weeks. Not every day but often enough that I’m sick of it. You do good work by the way

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Thanks I appreciate it.

22. This working on two vehicles is hard for me to keep up!! Did some work on getting the column ready to paint. Filled a extra hole or two.

Here’s the start...
    IMG_2015.JPG

Got a piece of scrap marked out.

IMG_2016.JPG

Fitted.
    IMG_2017.JPG

Welded and ground... IMG_2018.JPG
    Didn’t feel the need to spend a bunch of time perfectly metal finishing the steering column cover, I’m ok with filler...

A little filler and scuffed with 180...

IMG_2019.JPG

Hopefully a coat of epoxy and color tomorrow.

23. Preach it brother! I feel your pain :D

24. Yea, but you get paid for some of them...mine all cost me money!

25. Lmao! Still catch myself walking in circles, forgetting what I'm supposed to be doing ;)

61Cruiser, 57 Fargo and loudbang like this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sanding you say. I hate sanding too.

I like the results that careful prep gives.

You may recall that I spent every day one summer prepping and sanding and finally painting the Body and every other component of my RPU.

Literally every day from early morning to late afternoon.

I took 4 days off that summer

You’d think that I’d love sanding after all that practice :D

I feel for you :D

27. So Mr. Lane.... have you swapped those cragar's over to the convertible just to get a visual???

loudbang likes this.
  28. I’m not getting as carried away as you did! And remember this thing was painted once already, I’m just sanding and straightening out some of the old bodywork. It was stripped to bare metal the first time I did it.

29. I’ve been tempted but no I have not!

I recently bought a set of aluminum slots that may become a more “hot rod” vibe on the convertible

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m thinking that the convertible would look great wearing vintage torque thrusts.

I’ve never been a fan of chrome Crager SS.

I did have a set of Rocket 5 spoke chrome wheels back in the 70’s that I always thought looked better than the Cragers.