Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is a good paint, and spray mask??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Al, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I built my car from the ground up over the last 28 years. Now it is getting time to paint it. I plan to paint it myself. Last time I painted was in the 80's. What would be a good paint , and mask to use to paint my car?? Thanks

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I use the 3m mask with 6001 filters.
    theyre tough to find right now. I wanted to replace mine with a full face system. It was going to take 4 months to order one in!

As for paint, All depends on what you want to do with it and your skill level. Im no pro, but I'll recommend TAMCO brand paints to anyone that asks me. I started using their products a little over 5 years ago, the products and the customer service are amazing

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  3. squirrel

squirrel

There are lots of good paints, you could go visit your local auto paint supplier.

If you are familiar with single stage acrylic enamel, and would be happy with the finish it will give you, then you probably want to use that. If you want to keep up with the modern world, you would use base coat/clear coat, but there is a learning curve--although it's not really difficult, it's different. And the materials generally cost more.

Either of these types of paint will have nasty stuff in them that will want to kill you, so you need a good respirator, and cover your skin.....make sure you understand just what you need, by studying the MSDS for the paints you plan to use. It's a serious business.

Gasser 57, 51504bat and bchctybob like this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Masks/respirators are hard to come by these days, they are using them in hospitals etc for folks working with covid patients. That application is taking priority over painters right now. The best masks cover the eyes, but you can get one tht just covers your nose & mouth. They have different types of filters for different applications, for painting you want filters for organic compounds.

I was just recently looking for one myself and was having a hard time finding one; I had called several stores and checked online and was striking out, nobody had any in stock and I was looking at several weeks out. I was given a tip by a friend who does paint & body work to call the store that supplies his business, and I was able to score a respirator from SAS, it was about $24. Start calling around to see who has any in stock. If you don't know of any stores to call, then check with a couple of paint & body shops and ask where they get their supplies. Good luck.

5. Modern paints are deadly. Realistically if you are using isocyanate based paint and are painting an entire vehicle you should be using a fresh air system. At the very least you should be using a full face respirator, a full paint suit and changing filters often. The chemicals can enter your body from any exposed skin so half masks do half the job on your face.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  6. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

Lots of choices but I like the one step urethane like PPG Concept. They seem to have a softer look than a base coat/clear coat. I found them to be easy to work with and easy to repair any runs. They also hold up very well. I painted my truck with Concept 20 years ago and it still looks great and its never even been waxed. As others have noted these paints can be dangerous. I painted mine outdoors with a mask but if I had to do it over again I would get a full face, fresh air system.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

A friend uses a fresh air supply made from an old vacuum cleaner that is reversed to blow hooked to a face mask. I'm going to give it a try when the time comes to paint. Seems like an affordable solution for something that is seldom used.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to my local paint supplies store, thankfully they had an old guy like me that sorta took me under his wing and helped me pick out paint/primer etc as well as a functional paint mask. he's since retired but the young guys have been just as good (or they just like my money:) I hadn't painted anything since the early 80's so everything had changed.

Blues4U likes this.
  9. missysdad1

missysdad1

I am in the process of painting my '31 roadster in my garage/driveway. I'm doing it one piece at a time which takes far longer but can be accomplished with limited equipment and space.

I'm using Eastwood Single-Stage Urethane Enamel which is formulated by Eastwood for conditions such as mine. Nice stuff, affordable and easy to work with. See Eastwood's website for more information.

I am also using Eastwood primer, sanded with 320 dry for glossy areas and unsanded to give a nice texture in other areas (see close-up photo). Again it's easy to work with for the hobby painter like me.

I am using a DeVilbiss canister-style respirator mask which I also got from Eastwood and which works very well under my garage/driveway conditions.

red roadster 83.jpg red roadster 82.jpg red roadster 81.jpg

mcsfabrication likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

If you don't sand your primer after it has dried for a day or what ever it's open time is, and paint over it, it may peel in a year or two. The top coat will have no bite and may lift.

da34guy likes this.
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I sincerely hope you folks that are planning on doing your own painting heed the warnings about how nasty these paints are , running out of breath walking to the garage is no fun !!

K13 likes this.
  12. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Painted cars now for 40 years. Everything, lacquer, single stage, basecoat clearcoat, moisture cured, 2 component industrial urethanes. I'm still upright. I painted all my cars in the driveway at least 15 of them. By all means use all the safety equipment you can find. For outdoor painting a charcoal respirator would suffice. In a paint booth in a confined area then oxygen is required. I've sold urethane paints for 32 years have not lost a customer yet that I know of. If the paint scares you pay somebody else to do it or move to California

13. squirrel

squirrel

I knew a couple guys who it really affected their health...hence the warning. They're not around to warn anyone, any more.

14. Budget36

Budget36

Well, before you replied, I assume you read all the posts in the thread?

So, tell me how a charcoal filter works in your driveway, while the stuff in the air can be absorbed through your skin?

Ya, I used to pour solvent on my utensils to clean them befor lunch as well...

15. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

There a lot of us 70-year-olds That haven't became infected and we've been painting for years. If you're painting outside I doubt if you've be surrounded in a massive cloud of paint that will be absorbed through your skin. Like I said use all your safety equipment.

427 sleeper and BJR like this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Youre very fortunate , buy a lottery ticket !

Budget36 likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

And my dad who used to work in the shipyards in Oakland in the 60's, welding on the decks, passed away at 73. Liver and some other failure...one that would make you think he was a drinker.
    Heck, he maybe had a pint of booze his entire life. Just heed the warnings, heck you are probably retired now, right? So wear/use the proper PPE next time you fire up the spray gun:)

18. I hear the same bullshit from smokers all the time as well. Doesn't make those that have gotten sick any less sick because some are fortunate enough to have it not affect them.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Karampelasm likes this.
  19. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Soon as I got done painting I would sit on the porch and light one up. I spent 2 months in the Asha Valley with the 101 st airborne in 1968. I was on the Andrea Doria when it collided with the Stockholm and sank. I smoked 2 to 3 packs a day since then until 2006. So yeah I'm very lucky If paint scares you don't mess with it

427 sleeper, Bandit Billy and BJR like this.
  20. AHotRod

AHotRod

21. blazedogs

blazedogs

I know this will not be a popular post. The new auto paints are deadly. Read the labels & ingredients. A good respirator will not help much no matter what it is. If you question this do some of your own research. Gene

22. birdman1

birdman1

I used duplicolor paint shop laqure, works good and is not high priced