Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1,2,3 fan shroud. Couldn’t you find something all black?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 5, 2020.

1. We needed a fan shroud quick.
    Nothing was centered when in the right place. I said I think I know how to do this I watched a few YouTube videos guys make a silly speaker boxes.
    Sent my buddy up to Home Depot to get 2” foam and JoAnne fabrics to get some stretchy fabric.

Geez Mike,, couldn’t you find something one Color??? Man I got the stretchiest stuff they had in the clearance section.

I wish I took more pictures in the process. took about 15 minutes to build the form and probably about two hours to lay up all the glass with cure times And There it is,,,Dust flies and resins stink and fingers get sticky so pics kind of fall to the last. Anyway we had a Custom fan shroud that fits really nice.

If we spend a little bit more time on stretching the fabric it would have turned out exceptional. I would certainly do this again, maybe a little bit better next time.
    8EE95241-3646-4380-AFE7-8600370C5543.jpeg I 3A7D87EA-B768-40FD-AE28-A30CEA3D828B.jpeg

2. I like it, maybe I would prefer paisley. LOL

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I like plaid.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I thought Mexican blanket was traditional :D

5. It is but not thin or stretchy

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You are smarter than a stereo shop!

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

8. alchemy

alchemy

So, any stretchy fabric works, and it just becomes another layer of the shroud? So the color will show on the inside?

Do you need to put another layer of mat and resin on the inside after you've busted the foam out?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. This is what's great about the HAMB... somebody comes up with a 'outside the box' solution...

I'm surprised the lowriders haven't done this given their liking for graphics on everything. Use clear resin and you could carry your interior theme into the engine compartment... LOL...

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The Michelangelo of fan shrouds.

Nicely done.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@31Vicky with a hemi it would seem you could down grade to just a radiator shop and make do just fine.

12. Ha yeah anyone can build it symmetrical around the center lines

The fabric gets into the unit. Mostly there for form and support of the Mat. It shows if you don’t paint it and if you didn’t fully saturate it clear thru it stays Fabric on the back.
    On this one I didn’t do anything for looks,,, just cuz he picked that loud ass fabric I’m not gonna do shit. Hope everyone makes fun of his moo moo shroud, and the resin is some industrial type stuff gifted in.

100% wung off the wang without any giveafucks And personally never done before here but really came out pretty decent,

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I think it's genius. Thanks for sharing.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So, explain to me the need for the fabric? is it just so the hairs from the matting aren't sticking out when done? is it so you don't have to grind and bodywork? fiberglass gets its strength from the matting or fiberglass cloth, resin by itself is brittle....

Desoto291Hemi and jimgoetz like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I do declare that is the finest I've ever seen.
    [​IMG]

But enough about that. Show us the mold!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  16. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

It's to give you a surface to put the fiberglass laminate on. The stretchy fabric spans the open space between the framework it is stapled to.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I see... thank you, I totally misunderstood

31Vicky with a hemi and G-son like this.
  18. Yep that’s it,
    You establish point A, radiator and point B fan center and ring. The fabric completes between point A and B and support the wet Mat

loudbang, Moriarity and G-son like this.
  19. The fabric creates the form of the shroud and the glass is the strength. You can put the proper diameter foam circle anywhere in the area and the fabric makes it a shroud.

****I should have hit the reload button first :rolleyes:****

20. Easy enough to resin the inside when it out of the mold, then either paint it or show off your flowery pattern.

You can also add coloring to the resin so you don't need to paint.

Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  21. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

You can also use the first one to make a proper mould on, and then make one or multiple pieces in that mould. Often not worth the involved time & materials for a one off, but if you need multiple identical parts making a proper mould IS worth a lot. You spend more time at the early stages to make the mould with a perfect surface, and what you get from that is that the pieces made in the mould will have a equally perfect surface, already "painted" (gelcoat).

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I don’t think paisley or plaid would work. Simply because that would make it late 60’s/70’s and that wouldn’t be hamb friendly.:p

23. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Need more pictures!

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes I wonder what the ladies think when a couple guys come in to a fabric shop and buy material. Was behind a guy one time who was buying a lace tablecloth. Daughter was with me. Struck up a conversation and he was gonna paint his roof. A tattoo headed guy. Saw him a couple more times at car shows that year.

loudbang likes this.
  25. friend of mine went in to the fabric shop to buy some black material for his truck floor and lower door and kick panels. he chose a furry looking material. when he got to the register the girl asked if he was making a gorilla suit. we bust his balls about it since.

26. I want to see finished pictures.
    I will definitely use that technic. did you have to put anything over the radiator to stop bleed through?

27. Budget36

Budget36

Along with the clear resin idea...silk lacy panties...maybe ....uh, never mind, don't want to get banned today.

28. The finished pics are installed in an OT circle track car, sorry.

Bleed through, humm.
    The radiator isn’t part of the form.
    The fabric pattern shows plain as day inside the shroud.

loudbang and sdluck like this.
  29. 392

Good idea and different.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  30. Just a little follow up it works awesome!

Sucks a welding glove up to the radiator, ran a full feature race with 8 caution laps and never got above 150F.
    Against my advice and prodding ,,, he wanted no thermostat. Took me way to much to talk him into at least a gutted T stat for a restrictive. Looks like he never reached Full operating temp, never saw its full power potential.

Engine warmed up and cold fresh air is not same as cool engine, right?

olscrounger and G-son like this.