Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turbo 350 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pajet, Jun 2, 2020.

1. pajet

pajet
    from pa

Good morning, I recently had the trans rebuilt for my 1941 ford coupe. I’m having a problem when driving at about 35 mph. It continuously shifts from 3rd to 2nd and back. It only does it just above idle not when pulling. I also changed to a pretty big cam and the result is 6 in. vacuum. Trans builder, Abruzzi Racing Transmissions suggested adjusting the vacuum modulator but I can’t get to it without major work due to the x frame and crossmember.Does anyone think this adjustment would solve my problem? I would hate to go through Almost dropping the trans with no results. Thanks for any advice. Tom

2. that is what I would do. can you make an access opening in the frame? a small hole is all that is needed.

3. What he ^^^^^^ said

olscrounger and harpo1313 like this.
  4. pajet

pajet
    from pa

I thank you for your reply one way or another I will get to it. Was just verifying what builder said before I dig in. Have a great day

5. Some modulators were adjustable and some were not, make sure yours is before making access holes.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I think you have not been able to buy a new, non adjustable modulator for a couple decades.

7. steeltappet

steeltappet
    from PA

Have you tried disconnecting the vacuum line to the modulator, plug it on the engine side, and see it makes any difference? Just a suggestion before tearing into the harder job of adjusting it.

8. pajet

pajet
    from pa

It is attached to manifold vacuum. Ported vac is less than 6” at idle

9. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Is your kick down cable adjusted right.(The one for passing gear) If not it will downshift early. It is easy to adjust if needed.Pop the clip at the mounting bracket,hold the carb wide open and lock it back in.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have not see a non-adjustable modulator in a very long time, either.

Obsolete product support logic would tend to dictate making a single, adjustable part, that fits all applications, rather that a multitude, to cover all potential applications.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. Agree that the problem is likely the modulator is getting confused by the low vacuum. Thinking heavier throttle than actual engine load.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

12. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Might be tough to get it right with that little vacuum. Usually something like that would have a manual valve body.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. pajet

pajet
    from pa

Well if I can’t get it dialed in I can always drop it in 2nd when erratic shifting occurs.

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Vacuum sounds really low, all my trannys took vacuum from intake manifold 3/16/-1/4 Id line. are you sure you do not have a vacuum leak , have run hipo cams, I never had that low on vacuum. Also I had one that the rebuilder changed the governor springs that changed rpm shift points, not related to vacuum.

15. pajet

pajet
    from pa

3/16 hard line with 2 short hoses no external leaks. Engine just freshened by reputable builder, .Cam specs mech roller .660 .666 lift 254 [email protected] duration 110 lsa no problem with engine I even have marginal power brakes. I’m sure vacuum gauges vary a few inches.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    wicarnut likes this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Pretty radical cam for street, recognize lift from a BBC I owned, mine did not have that much duration, yours BBC ? suggest you make frame/crossmember access hole to the modulator big enough so you can change it if necessary, I have a few other suggestions, hopefully a real tranny builder will comment as I like most here buy rebuilds and install them, not a tranny expert, tranny shop in your area ?, might be worth the money for a pro opinion, thats how I found out about governor springs, he knew instantly the problem I described and fixed it, reasonable $ charge, curious, try a different vacuum gauge, 6 is really low at idle. The last 2 trannys I purchased were from a shop that has a trans dyno, No problems, a few more bucks involved.

17. pajet

pajet
    from pa

Yes it’s a big chevy
    The builder I used came highly recommend. Abruzzi in Warren Ohio. He does Dyno his builds. Motor runs great and idles fine at 600 rpm. No problems other than vacuum. Just need to get under car and get things adjusted.

18. Are you running a distributor with a vacuum advance? Is it connected to manifold or off-idle vacuum? Do you know what the initial timing is set at?

scrappybunch likes this.
  19. pajet

pajet
    from pa

No vac advance modulator on manifold vac initial timing 18 total 38 all in about 2800

squirrel likes this.
  20. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Vacuum operated transmissions will not shift properly with 6 inches of vacuum.Usually you would have to lift your foot off the throttle to get it to shift to high gear,but when you try to accelerate it will shift back down to 2nd.Vacuum should be checked at the modulator.You can try to back the screw out,I would take it right out.They used to make a mechanical modulator operated by a cable hooked to the carb or a manual shift kit or valvebody may be your only options.Hope this helps.

21. pajet

pajet
    from pa

Marty Thank you,
    once I get access I was going to Back it out one turn at a time Are you telling me it can be removed? I never had the pleasure to mess with one

22. jaracer

jaracer

With the vacuum line off the modulator, it would shift at the maximum shift points. Might have to go 70 or so just to get it in high.

23. jaracer

jaracer

Guys who do diesel conversions also use a mechanical modulator.

24. pajet

pajet
    from pa

Reread your post it shifts into high properly problem is when putting along at 35 mph it continuously downshifts to 2nd and back to 3rd if it is pulling a little it stays in high gear

25. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

If access to the modulator screw is a real pain take it out.This would give you the earliest shifts possible.If there is a noticeable difference you can put it back in and adjust from there.If there is easy access go 2 turns at a time, 1 turn out may not make much difference at 6 inches vacuum

26. pajet

pajet
    from pa

Thank you sir good information

27. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Did you try it with the cable disconnected?

28. pajet

pajet
    from pa

Don’t think kick down cable comes into play at 1/8 throttle or less it has a ton of slack and seems to work as it should I’m banking on modulator adjustment and if that doesn’t help I will manually pull it into second before this condition occurs thanks again, Tom

29. Sometimes a vacuum advance distributor using full manifold vacuum can be a big help as far as increasing idle vacuum. But with your current 18° initial it may be about as good as it gets.

Does the pipe from the intake to the modulator appear to fabricated or is it possibly a GM production, factory, original part? From the factory this pipe often had an intentional restriction to dampen the vacuum signal to the modulator. It looked like a short area of the tubing that was crimped down in size to create the restriction. The restricted area can get plugged but the restriction can usually be easily cut out and replaced with a section of vacuum hose.

On a TH350 the trans kick-down cable, I believe, only controls the kick-down at near wide-open throttle. The vacuum modulator and the governor are responsible for controlling shift timing and firmness.

30. pajet

pajet
    from pa

Well I managed to get to adjustment screw, turned an alen wrench Into a screwdriver. Backed it out 2.5 turns. Unfortunately could not test it they tar and chipped the 4 mile road out of here. Thanks to all who chimed in on my dilemma and will post results when I can.Tom

wicarnut and tb33anda3rd like this.