Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 1946 Ford Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRUGASM, Sep 11, 2016.

1. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

2. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20200531_112059.jpg

This began the game of lifting by the chains then lifting up the rear fenders to raise the jack stand. We would raise the front of the body a few inches at a time, then lift by the rear end to keep it steady. The body wanted to swing slightly as it went up but we kept a steady hand on it to keep it still. 20200531_114131.jpg

3. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20200531_114147.jpg

Once it was high enough we rolled the chassis back only to discover the back wheels appeared too wide to lower the body. Tracy happened to have a set of old Lincoln wheels that fit and were just right.

chryslerfan55, Runnin shine and Thor1 like this.
  4. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

race6_17Um_1.jpg

The Lincolns I borrowed were the original wheels off the dragster above, the Cotton Chopper. Tracy is the current care taker of the Cotton Chopper which was built by a car club in our area.

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20200531_114926.jpg
    The only issue we ran onto was the body at the rear sitting on the exhaust pipes and not sitting on the frame. I unbolted the exhaust at the rear cross member and it settled right into place.

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

7. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

8. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20200531_123331.jpg

Because I knocked those cages nuts out, I need to buy some more hardware to finish the job. The rear mounts on the trunk are in and the front legs on the firewall are in. I'll buy some nylocs and washers and finish up later this week. All the holes are lined up and shes basically mounted!

chryslerfan55, 48fordnut and Thor1 like this.
  9. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Screenshot_20200531-160221_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200531-160157_Gallery.jpg

Seems to sit okay but I am eager for the suspension to settle. I was hoping to be lower in the rear by a bit but time will tell. I made add a block at some point in the future. Theres still only a body on the car... no interior, battery in trunk, empty fuel tank.

10. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20200531_125209.jpg

Put her back to bed. Measurements today are 8 inches at the front of the running board, 10.5 at the rear of the running board.

The doors still close and fit well so we must have done something right. Only real casualty was one drip rail folded a little bit. It pulled right back into shape and isnt noticeable.

Good day and I'm ready to do burnouts.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You are doing an awesome job getting to this point. Congratulations.

chryslerfan55, DRUGASM and Thor1 like this.
  12. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Thank you.

It was mixed emotions when the body went back on. The chassis was so pretty and now it's just covered up with an old car (ha ha).

It was never meant to be this nice.

13. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20200606_100917.jpg

Things you think you have figured out.... saw that the rear end I bought was the perfect width for the car (with the early 16x4 wheels). Then I switched to discs up front and needed a wheel that would fit that set up.... enter the chrome reverse wheels.

Now the 15x7s on the rear are quite a bit wider and will not physically for inside the body.

I guess the choices are:

1) Narrow the rear end a few inches on either side.

B) Find a narrower rear end.

3) Have the wheels built to fit this rear end.

4) Clearance the fenders, raise the front end, set up center steer and call it a gasser.

I think fixing the wheels would be the "cheapest" option but I think they would end up with an almost zero offset and look like a front wheel drive wheel. A detail like that kills the whole look and I'm not into that.

Gassers are cool but then I'd have to buy matching metalflake helmets for the whole family.

I could try to find another narrower rear end but this one is ready to roll (just a bit wide).

So that leaves me looking for a reputable shop in the area to narrow this rear end.

My bad, thought I was pretty smart. I'll know for the next build. I guess this is what happens when you change the build concept mid project.

Small set back but still kills some energy. Theres plenty more to do on the car so I'm not stuck waiting.

I did get the new gas tank filler neck installed today. The black tube against a black undercoat against a black frame didnt make for great pictures but trust me, its in.

14. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Screenshot_20200607-141834_Gallery.jpg

Only had about 2 hours to play today. Got the water pump and harmonic balancer installed along with the thermostat housing. I can figure out hoses once the front clip goes back on.

chryslerfan55, bobss396 and Thor1 like this.
  15. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Screenshot_20200607-142045_Gallery.jpg

Not a great shot but looks like I can take about 2 and a half inches out of each side. Waiting for a few shops to open on Monday for quotes on shortening the rear end. I guess I have to compare that against buying new axles and a new housing before I pull the trigger.

16. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

What about getting wheels made with enough offset to get the tires centered in the wheel well? That's what I did. Cheaper than narrowing the axle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I thought about that but I really like the deeper look of the rear wheel. I think if I had the centers moved out it would be almost zero offset.

Pacer-Custom-Wheels-83B-FWD-Black-Mod-Matte-Black-Finance.jpg

48fordnut, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  18. Hmmm, Multi Lug rims I hate.. did it once on my 59 Plymouth Wagon never again.. Now the Pontiac Wagon with the TTO 's was a bad ass ride. Wish I had the dough to buy it back( 35 Ford W).. I may change my 36 over to a 9" Ford and parallel leafs next time I break the Banjo ( and my buddy finished it off).. You have been working on this a awhile.
    Make it the way you want, narrow the rear end and get axles … keep at it ! more expense but worth it in the end.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  19. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

It's down to all the little things now. Need pulleys, alternator, came this far so might as well get a new starter, ignition switch, battery and cables from trunk, master cylinder and pedals,.... plus all the fluids and all the parts I dont know I need yet.

I hope to keep a steady pace and keep plugging along a few hours a week until it's done.

20. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Just found your thread and read thur the whole thing, Your doing a great job.
    thanks for letting me follow along.
    I have a 48 sedan delivery that pretty much clones your chassis an ran into the same as you on the rear wheels, For what its worth i found some F100 wheels
    and drilled out the spot welds, then moved the center of the wheel towards the inboard side of the wheel, it may not be as much offset as your looking for but
    it will give you an ideal of what you will really need, on account of when the car body rolls going around a corner the tire tends to hit an rub the inner fenderwell.
    Sorry for the long winded story, hope it helps

21. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

Narrow the rear end, I build these cars all the time, and 99% of the time I run a 15/10 inch wheel with 275R60/15 on the rear.

22. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20200614_102550.jpg

Back on jack stands and the rear end is out. Found a few places to narrow the rear end. Hopefully I'll have it back in a few weeks.

23. you'll be happy in the end... my 36 goes into the shop Tuesday.. rear end issue.. broke it few weeks back.
    keep the updates coming ! :D

Thor1 and DRUGASM like this.
  24. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

20200620_102621.jpg

A moment of silence gentlemen (and ladies). Made the adult decision that there were too many toys at the house. I need to make the last big financial push to get the sedan on the road. Her loss was not in vain, it was so that others may live.

But in other news..... the axle housing is done and I'm waiting to order new axles tomorrow.

chryslerfan55, redzula and Thor1 like this.
  25. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Got these pics today. Housing is ready to pick up. imagejpeg_2.jpg

Robert in Visalia hooked it up. He is a very knowledgeable guy. As soon as he saw the housing he started telling me all about it and what year it was based off the weld seam in the center. Glad I found him and worth every penny.

26. Lazcano

Lazcano

63324B1F-E832-4199-89AB-9052B4AF60B4.jpeg F826D17E-0D8B-4273-BE99-D90A564E3E95.jpeg Thank you for sharing your project in such great detail! I just read through the entire thread and I love the progress. I have a ‘46 Tudor Sedan as well, but I’m barely getting ready to pull the flatty out. I will be following along for guidance, yours is looking so CLEAN!

My dad bought this car as a project when I was 8. Long story for why it never got restored. Thanks again!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  27. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Looks good man. Cool that it has some history in your family, too.

Take lots of pictures and keep turning wrenches.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and Lazcano like this.
  28. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Parts keep piling in! Boring for the story, bunch of brown boxes. So far havent hit too many snags but some stuff is either sold out all together or back ordered until ????

Ordered the firewall mat and panel from Macs (Ecklers) and was told it's a who knows when arrival. Axles should be in from Curry in next 10 days. I did get the housing to the powder coated ($150.00) and it should be done Monday.

I think tomorrow is going to be trying to get dash board out for the wiring process and to start getting the steering column and shifter installed. Have a new column drop coming from Speedway.

I'll try to remember to follow my own advice and snap some pics tomorrow.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and Lazcano like this.
  29. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

What did you do for axles?
    I've used DUTCHMAN on several builds and they're great for the price. Any bolt pattern and flange offset available and it's also a good opportunity to upgrade to 31 spline too.
    David Ritter in the classifieds here has 4 planetary 31 spline hemispheres cheap or you can use something more hipo if funds allow.

DRUGASM and Thor1 like this.
  30. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I ended up with some Currie axles. Should be in soon I hope.

Thor1 likes this.