Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hershey 2020 Cancelled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greenie-reddy, May 28, 2020.

1. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

The Hershey Region announced today the Fall Meet has been cancelled- ending a run of events that started in 1954.
    They leave the door open for a possible car show on Saturday of Hershey week.
    Given the logistics and the uncertainty, it is understandable that they want to cancel the event. What is less certain is the impact upon the future of the event.
    Other Swap Meet promoters , including Carlisle Events, are working hard to provide entertainment for enthusiasts. Let’s hope we are able to escape home detention and enjoy our hobby- safely.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That sad. Hopefully 2021 is better than ever .:)

dana barlow likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

Rats, but understandable. There seems to be,sadly, a lot of disrespect for other people's health out there by a small, but vocal, minority

Nitroholic and Lepus like this.
  4. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Copy of email from AACA and also on their website:

It is with great regret that the AACA Hershey Region Executive Board informs you that the 2020 Hershey Fall Meet has been cancelled. This decision was not arrived at lightly. Our Club prides itself on producing a world-class event that thousands of people anticipate every year, so we felt the heaviest of burdens when faced with this decision.

While making the difficult choice to cancel, the Board took many obstacles into account, including but not limited to: the health and welfare of our volunteers, vendors, partners, and visitors; the unknown restrictions and/or guidelines that may be in place at the time of our show; and the volunteer-only workforce we rely on to prepare for a show of our magnitude.

We appreciate you understanding how difficult this decision was for the Executive Board to make. We know that some people will be upset by the decision and others will applaud it. Either way, please know that the Hershey Region Executive Board has acted in what they believe are the best interests of the Club, and we ask for your continued support as we navigate these unprecedented times.

Refund information will be sent very soon in regards to all payments already received by the Hershey Region AACA.

Please know that we continue to explore ideas to benefit the hobby and are working toward the possibility of still hosting our usual car show on Saturday in October. While this may not be doable, AACA and the Hershey Region along with other constituencies are working hard to make this possible. Please visit our website and social media as often as possible for the latest news.

Hershey Region AACA

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm going to miss seeing a lot of friends I only see once a year. Last year was 50 in a row for me, never dreamed anything like this would ever happen. Bob

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, a different world - with a few other swap meets, etc showing up hope that the operators promote guidelines for being safe even when outside

The37Kid likes this.
  7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Bob, so glad Nick and I were able to stop by last year and visit with you, Mark, Ted and several of the CT folks.

I guess like so many sports teams, we’ll have to wait till next year.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I have to go next door tomorrow and tell the Grandkids it is off for the year, 8,5 and 2 like our kids they all went to Hershey before their first birthdays, they are not going to be happy. It has to be a huge amount of lost income, travel, lodging, restaurants and all the smaller things all part of that special week in Pennsylvania. Bob

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. prpmmp

prpmmp

Understandable!! I'll plan to take a ride that Wednesday of the meet!! I'm about 60 miles away! (just to be there) Pete

lothiandon1940 and The37Kid like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Swap Meet is history for 2020..... BUT the car show on Saturday may go on, keep checking for details. Bob

11. noboD

noboD

Bob, I've heard that rumor too, but I THINK that's all it is. The issue is help to put it on, as much as the other BS. The geesers said no way.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Every once in a while I check, and think I may be one of the geezers'. Maybe this is the year I get to Bonneville. Bob

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sucks for annual goers. I feel for you.
    Maybe the call is driven by site reservation (deposit return) deadlines, but it seems they're pulling the plug early being that it's 4 months out. Why not wait another month to see how things are progressing, then make the call when it's still 90-100 days out?

14. noboD

noboD

No wise assed answer, but do you have any idea how many reservations, connections, rentals, transports, etc. that are involved? Hundreds of foreigners traveling, many with cars coming or shipped back home. We are talking 9000 flea market spaces and another 3500? car corral spaces, plus the auction cars. You can probably hear 20 or more foreign languages spoken that week. I know guys that make a good income shipping containers full of stuff after the show. I wish too they would have waited but reality is setting in. Hell, I can't even get a haircut yet, the commie has everything closed down here. Google our Sec. of health, that's who is in charge.

The37Kid likes this.
  15. 5window

5window

I was okay until you got to name calling. That's just stupid. The stuff you want to do is just disrespect for others. I'm wearing a mask to protect YOU if I am sick and don't know it. Your hair is more important than keeping someone else healthy? Over 5000 folks now in PA alone who will never get to see their families again. How's that communist? Grow up.

Cris, jimmy959, Nitroholic and 2 others like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I would think Hershey Park or whatever the official name is had a lot to do with the decision, it is their property that gets used, and needs to be protected, just like every other park in the USA. When this is all over the lawyers will drain the country of every dime that is left with class action suits.

ct1932ford likes this.
  17. aircap

aircap

They jumped the gun on this. It's MONTHS away.

18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Color me PISSED:mad: BUT I have learned not to worry about things I can not change. I understand what a huge deal it would be to put on a giant event like Hershey and try to keep every one safe. Lets hope every thing gets close to normal but I have accepted it is going to take much longer than we though at the on set.