Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drive shaft shortening

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by frank storck, May 26, 2020.

1. frank storck

frank storck

Can anyone recommend a shop to shorten my torque tube and drive shaft here is southern California. None of the regular driveline shops I have contacted will touch "torque tube" parts. Havent had any luck with any of the old Ford people around here. San Berdoo and Inland Empire. I checked in OC and San Gabriel as well. I dont really have the knowledge nor the equipment to do this. I am using a 35 rear and shaft in a 34 pickup. I have mounted the 38 engine and the 35 rear in the 34 frame and established the length. But needing someone to shorten. any leads would be greatly appreciated.
    Frankie

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. H&H flatheads in LaCrescenta is a engine shop,but they might have some idea of who does.818-248-2371 if they dont.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Do you still have access to the 34 shaft? That will be lots easier to shorten than the 35 shaft. Depending on which pinion you have, you might need to switch the rear coupler to match the splines. But you would be cutting one end off the shaft anyway.

5. ckh

ckh

If it were me, I would do as alchemy suggests. Any driveline shop should be able to shorten a 34 driveshaft. Another possible solution would be to take the 35 shaft to a driveline shop and see if they can remove both splined ends on a lathe and weld them into a piece of chrome moly tubing to achieve the proper length. As for the torque tube, give The Hot Rod Works in Nampa,ID a call. They can shorten it for you. They might be able to quote you a price on both the shaft and the torque tube.

6. flatford39

flatford39

I got references from my machine shop. He sent me to two or three. These guys all talk and pass work among themselves.

One thing I found was I had to measure and mark it as they wouldn't take any responsibilty for that which to me was no big deal.

Also look for Hot Rod shops in a 100 mile radius of where you live.

7. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

try cook's machine in los angeles

Johnny Gee likes this.
  8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Cooks Machine , been around like forever worth a phone call

Johnny Gee likes this.
  9. Andy

Andy

The clearance at the speedo drive gear should be about .100. You don’t want the shaft too short to assemble the trans end or too long.

10. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like others have said; Cooks Machine. They have been doing it since the 40’s. They speak Flathead They can either re-spline or splice. He will guarantee either way. Couple years ago it was $300 to re-spline. 323 268-6571 talk to Paul. Good luck