Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Ford F100 Engine and Trans in a 1931 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by soonrodder, May 23, 2020.

1. soonrodder

soonrodder
    from germany

IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0190.JPG

Hi all,
    today I purchased a 1953 Ford F100 Drivetrain.
    Ford 8RT and a T98-148 4Speed.
    I am planing to use this in a 1931 Ford Roadster.
    What do you think about that?
    I did a search but did not find something about this.
    Happy about any recommendations or hints.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cooon likes this.
  2. Congrats! The T98 is a great trans....for trucks. It will work, but the ratio's are not optimal for a light car....

Dirty Dug and soonrodder like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Looks like that's an 8RT truck engine. Has wide belts and truck pumps.

4. soonrodder

soonrodder
    from germany

I got a T5 as a gift with it, but it has the wrong shiter location. The location is in the back of the housing. So I thought the T98 could be a nice solution with a long rear axle. Perhaps 3.54 or so..?
    My 36 has a T5 with .72 - great for german autobahn. The roadster would be for short trips - no for long trips.

5. soonrodder

soonrodder
    from germany

Will this make it more difficult for a use in a Roadster? or does this have no influence for the build?

6. I think you are going to find that the transmission is non synchro and the first gear is so low that it would only be useful in parades unless you had a very high rear end (3.27?). If you ran the high rear end gear I would be concerned about the spacing of the gear ratios but I don't know enough too be sure it would be a problem.

Charlie Stephens

7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Just get new truck water pumps and change the fan configuration it will be just fine. The transmission will be ok also if you use some tall rear tires. I’m running something very close to that in mine. And if you are running a banjo rear just change the gear ratio in the rear to something like a 3:54. And I wouldn’t until you drive it. View attachment 4696310 Speedway motors sells the pumps that are perfect for a AV8 and also the motor mounts. I think the banjo rear gears are $400-500 range this will keep you from spending a shit ton of money changing everything. The open drive yoke they sell at early ford also. Use what you got! Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

soonrodder likes this.
  8. soonrodder

soonrodder
    from germany

Hi all, thanks for the information you all gave me, it sounds good enough for me for a try! More traditional as my 8CM with five speed. Will let you know, what I did than and how it worked out.
    Love this Forum - best ever!

9. soonrodder

soonrodder
    from germany

....sadly I can not open your picture you load up - it says: not available for me

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Don't use the truck 4 speed, you'll regret it.

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The trans is for a garbage truck , not your car . I’m into old school , find yourself a top loader and enjoy it .

12. Since the OP is from Germany, he may not have as many options
    The trans will work, I probably wouldn't build a car around one....first gear is useless.
    BTW, that flathead to t98 bell housing is a rare piece, '53 only and worth some coin to the right person.

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a perfect world I'd loose the truck trans and get a 4 speed top loader and and a shift tower from a T-176 Jeep so it would look almost original but you'd have syncro's in all 4 gears or find a 3+1 T-170 if you want O/D. Since these would be hard to find in Germany I'm sure you could make the truck 4 speed work.

dsiddons likes this.
  14. adam401

adam401

Looks like a nice original engine. Youd be doing yourself a favor if you could source the short style fan. I run a wide belt short fan setup on my 8rt engine in my 34. It'll make fitting that engine a bit easier. Also as said it would be nice to put a 3 speed car trans behind that engine instead of the truck

15. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I thought I was looking at a 3 spd open drive transmission he posted. My bad. The picture was supposed to of my transmission setup 3 spd. My input is on the 3 spd sorry if I gave some bad information above.

16. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I agree. Hot Rods in Germany! Now that’s cool!

17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm running an 8rt out of a 52 F1 in the coupe I'm building with a 40 pickup trans and closed drive line rear end, had about the same set up in my avatar except a V8 60. The flathead is a good start but the 4 speed is a granny low with no synchronizers . I had the front pully machined off the crank pully, running truck water pumps and a 12 volt generator with a 37 Ford pully and fan which shortens the front of the motor quite a bit. I mocked it up with a one wire alternator but went with the generator for the vintage look. C motor 012.JPG IMG_0495.jpg

alanp561 and dsiddons like this.
  18. The T98 is synchronized except 1st gear...so it has that going for it.:)

dsiddons likes this.
  19. soonrodder

soonrodder
    from germany

Hi all, thanks again, love this forum so much!
    Also I respect and learn from all your opinions.
    I will keep you updated!
    i got a guy who is interested to do the drivetrain in his 1955 Ford F100 - cause they did a Chevy in Years ago - this is going to be a problem in Germany more and more.
    I got two other engines offered - also Flatheads, which I will check this week.
    will let you know - again, thank you every single one.

20. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '53 truck engine used '49 car wide belt water pumps (with no mount) along with the new-for-'53 center front mount. The left pump is correct, while the right one is a '48-'52 pump.
    The op's pictured '53 engine also has the one-year-only stepped rear sump oil pan and side-mounted bell housing.

Last edited: May 25, 2020