Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jason Cannata, May 23, 2020.

1. Jason Cannata

Jason Cannata

D75DAB61-40AD-49A8-AE52-C8037067A598.jpeg Thank you for the help and suggestions in advance. I'm going to swap my 216 with a 235 in my 1950 Chevy styleline. My question pertains to the front motor mount. My “new” engine is a 1958 235 with different style Front motor mount then my 216. The yellow engine is a photo of the mount on my 216. The blue engine is the mount on my 235. How can I make it work without removing the timing plate? B7D17EEA-6989-4E8D-94BF-E56F66CEDD06.jpeg

2. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

That may not be your only glitch, how is the water pimp and fan gonna line up to the radiator.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Easily done … use your 216 to make a template for marking the exact location of holes on the 235, then drill a small pilot. Follow up with the final size. Now, it's water pump time. I prefer to shorten the stock pump, while others prefer some sort of adapter.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep, unless my eyes deceive me me, the blue timing plate can be drilled to accept the mounts from the yellow plate per @302GMC . Remove the existing mount from the blue plate and throw it under your workbench in case you need it someday.:D

Ray

5. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

If I remember correctly you can also swap the mounting plates but that involves pulling the camshaft.

6. JWII

JWII

You can buy an adapter plate to mount your old style water pump on the new type 235 blocks, keeping it short and at the right height. There is a fellow on Stovebolt.com that sells the plate.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. JWII

JWII

Yeah I've shorten the water pump shaft on the newer 235 engines and pressed on the pulley from the earlier type shaft. But some tell me that with the larger crankshaft pulley of the later engine and the small early type water pump pulley it makes the water pump run to fast at speed and lessens cooling. I did see one fellow that mounted a larger pulley over the smaller earlier type pulley to fix that.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last one I did I used a shorter but same diameter pulley off a V8 (dug out of the pulley box). Pressed the hub back the difference between pulleys and done but that may be a challenge to replace of the pump goes out on the road. Not the greatest photo because I took it after the folks my students and I built it for let it sit for several years. One of the students who had helped build it and did a lot of work on it bought it about a year and a half ago and has it cruising around now.
    [​IMG]
    That engine came out of a 56 1300 truck along with the trans and rear axle.

belair likes this.