Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 53 Ford Transmission question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Madzola, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Madzola

Madzola

Hey guys new around here. I’ve got a 53 Ford coupe with a three speed transmission in it. I found a three speed with overdrive out of a 1950 ford. All the linkage for the shift levers are the same, the input shaft is the same, Bellhousing is the same. I know I have to change my driveshaft length is there any other reason why this would not work.
    Thankyou kindly

2. jaracer

jaracer

Pretty sure a 50 Ford OD trans is the same as a 53. You will have to add the proper wiring. If you do it completely stock, you'll need the kickdown switch.

3. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I can't comment on the physical aspects of this swap, but here's a minor comment you may want to ponder. Cars originally equipped with OD frequently have a lower geared rear end. Your car may not have adequate power to carry the high gearing when in OD, particularly if driving in a hilly area. You didn't mention what your engine is; if a "souped up" flathead or transplanted OHV, this is probably not a consideration.

4. Madzola

Madzola

Sorry forgot to say I have all the overdrive jazz, wiring governor etc. I’m running a stock flathead. I live in a flat area so not terribly worried about hills n such. Is there a reason my clutch linkage wouldn’t work with the 50 trans.

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The overdrive/equipped Fords had a 4:11 rearend in '52-'54. Don't know about the '49-'51 models.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone on here has just said the bell housings are the same. If so, the trans will button up.

7. Mac VP

Mac VP

Up front they are the same. The 49-51 side covers have the mounting boss for the clutch release equalizer shaft. Based on the comments of the OP I’d say the donor transmission, that he identified as a 1950 type, has probably had a 1952-54 side cover installed since he stated that the levers were the same as his current transmission.

The motor mount location is a little different than the 1952-54 but that can be adapted.

The extension housing of the 1950 transmission is a few inches shorter than the 52-54 type. So, even though the output shaft splines are the same, he’ll still need to have a new (longer) driveshaft made.

The gearing is virtually the same between the 1950 and the 51-52 transmissions on 1st and 2nd but third gear is the same (1:1 ratio).

sidevalve8ba likes this.