Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Newbie with regulator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by STRICK9, May 18, 2020.

1. STRICK9

STRICK9

Hey guys and gals. New to post here but read post often. I want to change my 59 Olds from generator to alternator and keep the original vintage look of the 4 post voltage regulator. Is it as simple as cutting some wires, and splicing them together or will it be more complex? Can’t find simple diagram on Mother Google. Added fans, better lighting, etc. and gen can’t keep up. Thanks in advance.

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

I take it you are going to use one of those gen look alternators that is one wire for over $400 you can just use the old regulator as a junction box just hook the alt output wire to the BAT wire and terminal at the regulator. Be aware that the stock wire may not be heavy enough. If you are going to run a standard alternator you have lost the look anyway or just tell then the alternator was a special order AC option.

3. STRICK9

STRICK9

Sunbeam. Thanks for the reply. Plan is to modify mounting bracket and use a 1 wire alt. I am electrically challenged. Do I leave all the wires at the regulator on and just connect the hot lead from the generator to the alternator? Just want to keep the clean look reg and wires on the firewall. Wise is 10 gauge.

4. 24riverview

24riverview

If it were mine I would do it this way-
    59 Olds-3.png
    This way would keep the function of the charge light in dash. Your "I am electrically challenged" statement makes me a little nervous about the regulator modifications though.
    If you do go one wire I would run a new output wire from alternator to the horn relay junction as shown. Tape off the original generator wires and the regulator can stay as is.

5. STRICK9

STRICK9

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you are using a one wire, it has a built in voltage regulator. If you have the old generator voltage regulator, run a wire from the GEN terminal to the output on the alternator and disconnect the other two wires.

7. patsurf

patsurf

sure you don't mean bat terminal?

8. goldmountain

goldmountain