Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Unique '32 Ford sedan chopped & sectioned, full fender package

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by corndog, May 3, 2020.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

With all the "stay at home" because of the virus I have been spending some time looking back at pictures of days gone by. I just turned 74 and I bought my first 32 Ford in 1972. Yesterday I found three pictures of a unique 32 Ford sedan I bought in 1975 as a project for my advanced Auto Shop Class. (I was a high school auto shop teacher for 30+ years). I found the sedan parked next to a little house in Elkhart, IN as a roller in primer with all the fenders etc...no engine or trans but pretty much complete. What was amazing about the all-steel car was it was chopped and sat low but was not channeled. The entire body and doors had been sectioned, so well in fact I had to look at it close to see what had been done to get it so low. I ended up buying the car for $1800. I took it back to John Adams High School and myself and my advanced auto class installed a 327 Chevy and a Powerglide trans, stripped the body and painted it hugger-orange, got some new tires on chrome wheels and entered it in the Calvacade of Wheels at Notre Dame. It ran and drove when we took it to Notre Dame but needed an interior. We sold it at that show for $3800 if I remember correctly. I think it went to somewhere in Illinois but not certain.
    Which brings me to the reason I am telling this story. I am wondering if anyone in the land of HAMB has ever seen this car or even knows where it is now. It was so unique in the body-work that it has to be around yet. At least I think it should! I only have three pictures of the car as it looked when we were done with it in 1976. I am not looking to find it or buy it back (unless of course the price is still what I sold it for!) I just am wondering what happened to this unique 32 Ford sedan that was chopped and sectioned and still had a full fender package? 32sedan1.jpg 32sedan2.jpg 32sedan3.jpg

29EHV8, sgtlethargic, 302GMC and 12 others like this.
  2. pumpman

pumpman

Dang, that looked really nice. Your right who ever did the sectioning did a great job. Hope we get some more info on it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. I like it!

4. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

no one knows anything about this car existing today? I am surprised...

5. verde742

verde742

Along the same subject: Street Rod. Editor. Tom. McMilland. Started a project Fordor. Chopped sectioned. Full fendered, WHERE IS IT TODAY? I am pretty sure it was not finished. When he died.?

29EHV8 likes this.
  6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Sharp car, a dropped headlight bar would have finished it perfect.

Atwater Mike and Mark Hinds like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

8. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I agree 100%. Makes me wonder what I was thinking back then? It looks like lights for a snow-plow! Ha

Mark Hinds likes this.
  9. Looking very close to your 3 photos makes me wonder. You say sectioned and not channeled. Not doubting your description but I don't see the Exposed frame rails 32's are so famous for. In fact the photos make it look like the Rocker is flat to the Running board. Now I'm not that far behind you at 73 and know how both my memory and vision can play tricks on me. I've also done several Chop, Channel, and Section jobs though never all 3 on one vehicle. The listing statement is what made me look and I'm thinking maybe something is not exactly correct here. Does anyone else see things the same way I do? At any rate I do like what I see and understand what it takes to work with Kids and get a nice end result. Well done teacher.

10. To me the car looks channeled, not sectioned. The rear fenders appear to be raised up on the body. There was a 32 sedan here in town that was sectioned and chopped, but it wasn't this car. It was purple with black fenders and flathead powered. It was sold a few years ago and I haven't seen it since. The owner that I knew, that had it, passed away end of last year.

11. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I agree that the pictures appear to be a channel not a section. But I assure you that car was sectioned. To be sure, I took the one picture of the car on my computer that shows the most of the passenger side and enlarged it and I can see the frame. I think there is just too much orange going on and the picture is not the greatest. It was taken with a poor camera in 1976.

lurker mick and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  12. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I know that car and I knew Lowell. My brother Dave lives in Sedalia. Mo and was good friends with Lowell. He was a long-time 32 Ford guy. I think his wife still has his yellow 32 cabriolet but not sure of that.

13. What ever was done is good enough for me, if that even counts. I like the car! Like most I have tons of stills and they don't often transfer over to good internet pictures.

14. That's the car. I haven't heard about the 32 Cabriolet being sold, but things have been pretty quiet around here, I really haven't seen anybody. What's your brothers full name? What's he drive?

15. corndog, I blew up the picture and I do see the frame rail, I think. I'm sure you would know if it was channeled or not, you owned it. Great looking car.

16. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

My brother is Dave Williams and he has a 67 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible.

17. Humm, don't think I know him, or the car.

18. killbilly

killbilly

Corndog you didnt mention you had Lynyrd Skynyrd in your shop class....lol

19. Teacher looks mad. Maybe that's why the car was sold so quicklike.
    32sedan3.jpg

20. The headlights are fine.

21. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I didnt know he was! Are you thinking one of the students looks like Lynyrd

22. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I can assure you I was not mad, plus you can barely see me. I enjoyed teaching auto shop 95% of the time. The car was sold quickly just like it always was in order to fund another build the following year.

sgtlethargic likes this.
  23. Buckster

Buckster

There is a '32 sedan in the Marietta, GA area that could be that car. He drove it to the the last Carolina 32 Run. He is a friend of Dick Wesson. You could do a HAMB search on that event & a picture should show up in that coverage.

24. Buckster

Buckster

25. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

If this is the car you are referring to, red sedan... that 32 sectioned sedan 2.JPG 32 sectioned sedan.JPG could be the car! Don't really know but that sure looks like it might be. I would love to talk to the owner.

alfin32 likes this.
  26. Buckster

Buckster

Corndog-I'll see if my friend can get you his phone number. I was told he would be having lunch with him & others next week.

27. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Buckster, thank you for the help! Paul

28. alchemy

alchemy

That red sedan has been channeled a couple inches too.

lurker mick likes this.
  29. Magfiend

Magfiend

There was a purple (or red maybe?) channeled '32 sedan for sale in Ontario, Canada last year that looked like an early 70's build with a wood dash, overstuffed upholstery, chrome wires, etc. Wish I had saved the listing or at least some pics...