Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Frame Builders how to achieve stock ride height?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaplenblackout, May 16, 2020.

1. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

31 slant window fordor Chevy 90 dag v6 bare bones as close to stock as i can get. Pete and Jakes hot rod frame. 2in drop in back for coil over. would I need a drop axle for the front 4in drop looks most common? Really at a loss here.

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Stock ride height?, you mean you want it way up in the air like original?

3. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

that's correct or if that's not possible at least level like original.

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

How about calling Pete & Jake's ?

big duece and badshifter like this.

5. 66gmc

66gmc

The best way to achieve stock ride height is with a stock frame and stock suspension.

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Are you using the Chevy front suspension?

7. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Calling was my next step. Stuck overseas with the covid no fly. Not going stock frame cause dont have one and wont handle the v6. Stock look up front as far as axle. Weather drop or not trying to figure out. And rear going the shocks little bit better ride then mono springs.

8. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Chevy front suspension???

9. badshifter

badshifter

A stock frame will handle a V6. But, you don't have one so......
    You may not understand Stock height if you are already saying 2 inch drop in the rear and wanting info on a dropped axle.
    What wheels are you running to achieve stock height?

10. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Well no i dont lol. Not even sure if its a 2in kick up looks like it for the coil over springs. Havent bought yet just trying to get some info before i do. Wheels think their just 15in five spoke same front and back. I understand stock height might be out of question. But as close and level as i can get.

11. From what you're saying, you'll want a stock axle and stock spring in front. Anything else will be less than stock ride height. The rolling stock will also come into it. You'll need a total diameter the same as the original wheels and tires.

Rear? Mmm, if you already have a frame and it's set up for coilovers, you'll need to do what ever is necessary attachment wise to provide the height to match the front, including wheels etc again. Or go with a stock leaf in a stock crossmember.

12. You posted again before I finished typing. Now I am confused. What exactly do you mean by "stock height."
    Do you want a restored car with a V6 or is it something else?

13. 78F430F2-EF6F-466B-9B29-DD353B9E83B9.jpeg
    If ordering a frame, they will have the dimensions and should be able to build whatever ride height you want.
    But make sure you know what you want it to look like. Post pics of the desired look

14. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Sorry. Well i want it to sit similar to original. Basically i want to build it to look original. But ride better with a more modern chevy 90dag v6 automatic transmission radio and ac nothing else. Interior and full fenders the same as much as possible.

15. Ever drove a stock one?

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

17. The fronts easy.Use a stock model A axle,and spring.At the rear coil over shocks can be had in many lengths.Get longer units.On the rear axle housing mounts use the brackets that offer three positions,and use the top hole.One other thought....instead of welding the shock mounts on the bottom of the axle tube, weld them on the top of the tube.That would get you back up in the air. There are after market companies that will make you wire spoke rims in most sizes.Try something like an 18 inch rim by 5,or 6 inch wide with a tall profile tire side wall.

18. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Yep and no i have never ridden or driven one. Not many around here let alone a fordor.

19. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Thank you. Thats more of what i was looking for cool.

20. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Not exactly easy. He's got a Chevrolet and they have parallel front springs. Will take some doing to put in a Model A axle and spring.

21. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

No frame yet lol just putting a chevy 90dag v6 engine in it. Something with enough tq to do 75 down the highway.

22. A couple of things. He obviously didn't read what I said in my first post and also, from his first and other posts, I get the picture has wants a Chev engine and is looking to buy a Model A frame from P&J. I assume he already has the Ford body.

23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Do you have a complete car or just a body?

24. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

25. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Nop a 31 ford slant window build with a chevy engine.lol ya the other way around would be alot of fab. Might look interesting ;)

26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I would look on Craig's list for a complete 1929-31 Ford rolling chassis that someone is selling to build a hotrod. I see them from time to time. Bolt your body on it and hopefully you have a title and drive it as is. You can at your leisure fine a v6 engine and tranny and convert it over.

Just Gary and X38 like this.
  27. chaplenblackout

chaplenblackout

Ok i think i may have a way to reword this so it helps. Bare with me i have no clue that why i am asking. All i have is a body of a 1931 ford fordor slant window. I would like to build a Model A lookes close to stock on a modern chassis and drive train. I live in montana where the roads suck lets face it. And would like to go down the highway at 75mph with ac and radio. Pluss keep all the fillings in my teeth if i hit a pot hole. Now after market chassis i see with coil overs have a 2" kick up in the rear correct??? That said to keep it up off the road (with a chevy 90dag v6 engine automatic transmission) do i need a straight axle or a drop axle compensating with springs or shocks ? The back i get i adjust with longer shock. But the front??? To keep it same level stance. And maby close to stock height.

28. indyjps

indyjps

Do you have a picture of a car that is similar to what youre looking for. Can be a coupe fordor etc. Something to better convey the vision you have. Ride height, wheels size.
    Fenders or not?

From your previous posts, it seems you want a rolling chassis that you can start from. Lot of options or choices to make.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  29. Stock A front axle is as close to straight no drop as they come.Add a stock A spring with out reversed eyes,and your front will be where Henry designed it to be.