Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Coupe suspension/stance advice required!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HeyyCharger, May 14, 2020.

1. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

G'day folks,

Hope I'm finding all our fellow Hot Rodders & Customizers in good spirit and health.

I've got a '30 model A Coupe which I'm beginning the process of transforming into a traditional early 50's style AV8. One of the more important facets of the car for me is its stance. For now it will remain with fenders, therefore I'd like a nice tuck of the pie crust of the firestones bias plys I'm going to run, just like the Coupe pictured.

I'll be running 6.00 x 16" firestone bias plys on the front and 7.50 x 16" on the rear.

Most Rods are running 5.50's or 5.25's on the front and hence I'm struggling to find particular advice for what inch axle drop and what leaf spring configuration to run in order to achieve the right stance on the front end with 6.00 x 16'' size tyres.

IN SUMMARY I'd appreciate anyone that is running the same front end set-up I'm after to assist with some advice/guidance to achieve this... E.g, Axle height, axle width, leaf spring configuration...

Many thanks,

HC.

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2032.JPG

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’d say a model T rear spring with only 6 or 7 leafs in back should get you close, the front id do a 4 inch dropped axle and a posies super super low spring. Every car is different but that’s gonna get you awfully close

Just Gary likes this.
  3. mkubacak

mkubacak

I would say this car has a very good stance. I too would like to know what was done with the rear of this car to get the stance it has. The 7.50's look good.

Are those stock Ford wheels with no alteration to the wheel centers?

What axle is in the back?

What is the WMS to WMS measurement if it is not a stock axle?

I would not think it would have to be dropped much in the back as much as a 31" tall tire will fill the wheel well compared to the stock tires. But, I don't really know, just making suppositions.

4. If you are running 6.00's at the front, you don't need to get too tricky with lowering because they are pretty big diameter. I'd say a reverse eye spring less a few leaves and 4" drop axle would do it.
    You could modify the spring you have and have the axle dropped. Is that your intention?

5. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Mate, I'm considering going a new axle and spring. Road rego here in S.A is a bit funny when dropped original axles come into the picture.

6. Okay, in that case, since you're in SA, visit Rod Tech for a spring and axle (and perches or anything else.)

HeyyCharger likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

not my car but based on my own that’s what a stock width rear axle with stock 40-8 ford wheels with 750’s looks like. If it’s not stock A the measurements probably are.

and that back is dropped at least 4+ inches to get it that close. These things are off road tall in stock form.

8. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky