Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grabbed a 62 Galaxie today, now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabilly-medic, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Looks good! You're making good progress, cool that the kids are involved.

2. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Excellent choice for a lowbuck cruiser! I just wanted to send you a photo of my 62 Merc to give you an idea that it doesn't take much in the way of change to make one of these stand out in a crowd. 14 x 7 chrome reverse rims, bellflowers, half moon covers over the headlights, and lowering blocks in the rear/cut a couple coils up front!

Attached Files:

3. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

390merc.... that certainly is a clean ride....

well all the tire deals fell through........ so back on the hunt again... Mothers day so it is all about Mom today which means no working on the ride...

when she takes her afternoon naap though it is back to searching the web...

Hope all of the mothers out there have a wonderful day..

4. Lo-fi

Lo-fi

Go to dearbornclassics.com and order a free catalog too. They have a lot of Galaxie parts as well. Some things in it are actually cheaper than Macs. But some are more expensive too. I have always had good luck with them.

Great car by the way. I have a 63 4 door sedan that I'm turning into a custom cruiser too. Metal flake roof and bellflowers all the way for me.

5. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Good score on your '62 and have been tracking it. Goodluck with your project, it is going to be sweet!

6. Loe

Loe
    from CDA, ID

sorry for the late reply. Yes those were 15's And really tall ones at that. L-78 if i remember. At the time of that photo it was 3 inches off the ground. Could of gone lower easily but i went to a g-78 that lowered it an inch anyway.

7. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

Well off to the powder coater today....... so many color choices.. decisions decisions. And a search for those damn steelies....

8. Stockton Wheel is where I got mine, custom fit :D

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

Galaxie Parts and info;
    http://www.autokrafters.com/v4/go.gnf?s=autokrafters&t=&n=default&d=home
    http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/
    http://www.macsautoparts.com/
    http://www.greensalescompany.com/
    http://www.galaxieclub.com/
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/galaxie-pages/
    http://www.galaxieparts.com/
    http://www.joesrustemporium.com/used galaxie parts.htm

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  9. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

How about a Super/Stock??

Attached Files:

10. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

So I think I am going with a gloss black on the interior trim pieces....... leaves more options for color choices... Leaning towards a deep maroon form Hot Rod Flatz w/ a silver base and silver flake on the roof and dash.... Black carpet (kids) two tone seats and door panels, then a fur lined headliner and back speaker panel...

any suggestions on rim color? found some 15x5 steelies for the front and 15x7s for the back.... shannon cones and call it done...

thanks

11. Your ride is coming along well, esp. with your helper! As for flaking the dash... Silver flake may give you eye trouble... you may need your sunglasses on real often as bad glare from sun strike.... Keep us posted on the progress.

12. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

cruisin'.......... never thought of the driving hazard of a flaked dash... will take that into consideration...

thanks

13. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

I went with HOK Kamen Blue Miniflake and its no problem!:D:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. GonzoSS

GonzoSS

Nice score!!!! I have a 62 galaxie 4dr. wagon. I got it in late Feb. and i wanted to make roundup 2010, but it turned in a complete drivetrain rebuild, new brakes, rebuild the front end and redo the interior...and so it begins!!!! Body is thankfully straight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

GonzoSS... that is a nice wagon....... shaved and nosed... already w/ the Supremes and bellflowers.... I like the blue w/ the white top....

was looking at powder coating samples again... I really like the dark blue w/ a bright blue flake for the interior trim.. a midnight blue suede for the body and bright blue flake w/ white scallops on the roof..

Wreckingball's dash looks good, so definately going to flake it..... checked on the fur at local fabric shop... stuff seems to shed quite a bit... so found a new white one for under $75 on evil-bay.... undecided on the carpet though... blue rims and we are set... let's see if I don't change my mind again....

Back to work I go..

16. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

YES!!!!! i finally found some steelies.... 14x6 with some o.k rollers..195/70's and I like the stance with that size... funny thing is where i found them... I asked my brother (who works for Ford) to ask his guys there at work if they had any laying around... he responds "just the plain old stock wheels? ... I have 6 of those on the side of my garage" WTF? so I ran over there today, grabbed them, placed them on the ride and there we go... better yet.... they were FREE!!!!...

and the color has changed... i started another thread about purple cars.. with all those responses and pictures of other cars... i decided to go for it...

so dark deep purple body with white scallops... purple rims... either silver base w/ purple flake or purple base w/ wilver flake.... deep purple interior trim with same color combo dash as the roof.... white headliner, two tone seats and door panels... dark carpet...

my co-wroker is taking a nap ... so off to do the unsafe things on the car... saw a thread on making skirts here... gonna give it a try...

thanks

17. bigs merc

bigs merc

sweet find. there is lots of leg room and potential

18. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

So got a frikin litter from the city. stating my Galaxie is a nuisance to the public... Now I have 12 days to 1: put it in a garage, 2: put it behind a 6 foot fence, 3: move it.. or 4: show proof of registration to the police..... I have some neighbor reporting me, they got me for having garbage on the side of my house after I stripped and cleaned it, they reported I had oil and tires,,, people are really pissing me off... wifr just says to obeyed by the law and keep her house clean.... so guess I will... gotta make Mama happy....
    Just gives me more of a drive to get it done....

19. madgrinder

madgrinder

Find out what kind of TV they have a program a universal remote for it.

Stand out-of-sight and change their channels, crank the volume, switch it off, etc...

Neighbors and their "nuisance" complaints... I'll show you a nuisance:D

20. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

great day of work on the Galaxie today...got the seats all clean and ready for some mexican blankets.. layed all the heat/temp material down and waiting on the carpet kit.. placed the seats back in, (got the wife to do some heavy lifting, what a good little woman)

do have a nasty little noise when the engine runs... not so much a squeek almost a grind, pretty sure it is the power steering pump, gonna remove the belt tomorrow and see if that changes things.... Is the fluid suppose to be a creamy white?

still on the search for some tires.... don't want to go over my budget...

so far it is below $750... counting the car... tires, DMV, carpet, headliner, paint and flake and rebuild the generator and she will be done for this season... probably will put me @ the $1500 mark.. I can live with that...

looks like Santa Maria is out though... cash flow is obviously going to the ride... guess I gotta hit a bunch of smaller shows then... atleast I can take the whole family with this ride.... my trucks definately limit the copilots...

21. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

So it has been a week since last post... some progress.. Since the letter from the DMV I had four choices so I went with option number four.. Spent an hour and twenty minutes and the DMV .. walked out $109.00 later with a temporary registration.. Now I need an officer to verify the vin number, good thing two houses down from lives an officer that will handle that...

made some templates for shaving of the handles, started removing some trim for polishing and of course... searching for tires...

Did get some door panels made, would rate them a seven out of ten... I will let you guys judge... made all for $50.00...happy about that..

Tomorrow more trim removal, back speaker panel and kick panels getting covered then a trip to the powder coater...

Attached Files:

22. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

also going to cover the arm rests with the bandanas to finish the look...

23. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

Got them installed, looking good... IMO. carpet next then we are starting on the body work...

grabbed a kool black and grey mexican blanket for the front seat... droppin the rear with the 3 inch blocks and cuttin coils in the front..

Attached Files:

24. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

Grabbed some cheap thin whites today, mounted and balanced now on the ride, so lets go for a spin... took her around the block, kids said I looked good and the boy was itchin for a ride, but momma put a stop to that.. Touchy on the gas, tries to cut out if you don't hit it right... maybe a rebuild is in order. Brakes can use an improvement, I have driven worse though..

It was nice coming around the corner and having the kids cheer me on... and time to go back to work..

25. homealone

homealone
    from texas

Holy 10 year old post. Do you think that guy ever did anything with this car? Ha!

26. Bullet Bird

Bullet Bird

Yea, you would figure the build should just be finishing up by now!

27. Profile says "62 galaxie" sold.....

28. homealone

homealone
    from texas

Just poking fun at the old owner.
    <-----------