Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help? Dimensions on a 58 Apache radiator support?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buschandbusch, May 14, 2020.

1. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

Hey all, could anyone give me the dimensions on the bracket that bolts to the frame on a 58 Chevy 3100, that the radiator core support sits on top of (like the one in the picture)?
    IMG_3527.jpg My truck doesn't have these brackets (likely because somebody decided a GMC frame was a close enough match I think). Before I take some dial calipers to some photocopies, I was hoping maybe some Apache brethren could help me out? Thanks all!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

they're not easy to measure when the truck is all together.

3. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

I'll bet, lol. No, I was hoping maybe someone had a a build in progress that was still in bare frame phase so it would be easy to do. If not, don't sweat it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I have a pair of brackets, that are loose, but I think they're from a 55-57, probably the V8 version with the radiator scooted back. Different from 58-59.

Do you mostly just need to know the height? How far apart is your truck right now?

buschandbusch and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

Hey Squirrel, I'm mainly interested in the height, since I don't know how much room will be taken up by the rubber pads (or how much they will compress). I'm currently using a stack of MDF that is 1.375" high.
    IMG_20200514_153657709~2.jpg
    As far as length, I was just going to make it as long as needed to get the ends over existing holes in the top of the frame.
    And right now, my truck is in strict mockup dreamer mode :)

6. squirrel

squirrel

as best I can measure, it's 1-5/16" from the top of the frame rail, to the top of the bracket, where the mounting bolt goes through. The rubber pad that goes between the bracket and the radiator core support, is 1/4" thick.

buschandbusch likes this.
  7. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

Awesome, thanks, man! That helps a lot. Take care!

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 55-6 GMC had a Pontic V8 engine with a center engine mount mount under the damper like the 6’s. I don’t remember the radiator sitting on a spring system. It it was just bolted to the front section which held the fenders. Mine was hobbled too.

buschandbusch likes this.
  9. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

Thank you for the info on the GMCs. The way I'm figuring on doing it, I'll make brackets like the Chevys had, and bolt them to the frame, and mount the radiator support them, with the Chevy inner fenders bolted to the rad support like normal. Seems the easiest route to go for now.

10. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

That picture in your first post looks to me to be a 55-57 model which is altogether different from 58-59. I went out to take some pics. of a 59 frame to give you some measurements. I didn't remember that I had already cut these off but found them and are including pics. If you need any more, let me know. Squirrel is the expert on these trucks and I'm sure that he will advise if I am correct or not. Should you want to purchase these, make a decent offer through private message.
    Eddie 478-967-3362

Attached Files:

11. squirrel

squirrel

you didn't show a height measurement! :) that would be helpful, to confirm what I told him

12. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Check the picture with the wood block (1&3/4") behind it. That gives a reasonable idea of height and also that it is tapered so very difficult to describe.
    Also, there is a guy in Texas that is usually selling 55-59 frame parts on that auction site.
    Eddie 478-967-3362

13. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

Thanks very much for the pics, Eddie, they are super helpful! I really appreciate your (and Squirrel's) help This should give me enough info to give it a go, and if I bungle things, I'll certainly give you a shout about your brackets. Have a great weekend, guys!