Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air bags or coil overs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alaska gasser, May 12, 2020.

1. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

I recently installed a '57 Ranchero rear end in my '52 Chev p/u. I rebuilt the rear springs and am debating whether to go with rear air bags (used like air shocks, no compressor) or coil overs instead. Somewhere down the road I plan to pull an airstream trailer. I have a 32 foot one now, but would rather have a shorter one.

Recommendations?

loudbang likes this.
  2. Just one guys thoughts.Rubber air bags like rubber tires must crack somewhere around the 5-8 year point.Then they need replacing.My thought on coil overs...they are fine on a 2500lb 32 Ford/model A type car.Your holding up the back of a 4500 lb PU,and adding the weight of a trailer .That round eyelet on the end is welded about one inch on each side,and has a 7/16" bolt passing through.Will it hold all that weight...side loading caused by a camper? Just a thought.I think I would rebuild the two leaf springs.Its a tough time tested suspenion.

loudbang likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Airbags are good for big trucks should be good for yours.

4. I used air shocks on the back of El Caminos I had. Easy to pump up when needed for a heavier load.

loudbang likes this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Add more springs.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Air shocks or one of those air lift helper kits. Could do quad coilovers.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a OT lowered shorty Silverado with Firestone air helpers on top of my rear leafs. I installed them along with an onboard compressor and wireless remote so I can balance the load from outside the truck (front/rear/left/right independently). I can tow anything and keep it level with a press of a button. Pretty slick and it's been on there close to ten years and trouble free.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This, but I'd add a automatic mechanical leveling valve, or even two, and take out a leaf, for a nicer unloaded ride.

The automatic valve can be had from a trailer truck supplier. When you put weight in/on the tail, it stays at the set height, all on its own. No interaction required. Nothing electric, but the compressor.

mkubacak, Gangrene and loudbang like this.
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Air bags are for Semi-trucks and trailers, not cars.
    No need for them. Build your car to the height that you want it to be. Sitting in the grass at a show...what the hell is that for ?

Metallic (or even fiberglass) springs.

Mike

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you read his post?

He has a truck, not a car, and is planning on pulling an Airstream trailer.

If he builds the suspension to handle that, the ride quality is not going to be good, when it is unloaded.

This is LITERALLY EXACTLY the reason they are used in big trucks, and on trailers.

He never mentioned car shows, or laying frame.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Stooge, mkubacak, OFT and 7 others like this.
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Suspension air bags use far simpler compounds than tyres, because the demands on them are restricted to a narrower range. They live in less harsh environments and are not subjected to such severe thermal gradients. The trade-offs between, say, grip and plasticizer loss can therefore be largely avoided. As a result the longevity of a bag is limited by wear (more often by physical damage) rather than time.

Special Ed likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gabriel-air-shock-compressor-help.1179606/#post-13396712

[​IMG]

Hello,
    If you do decide to get some air shocks, for ease of usage, that would solve your trailer weight/family stuff or any items in the back. I installed this cool gauge for reading the air pressure in the El Camino airshocks. It was not a Chevrolet factory item on my 1965 El Camino, but an add on gauge. It fit just under the rear panel behind the seats and was out of sight from anywhere. The actual valve was still sticking above the small shelf and below was this gauge.

When filling air anywhere, most gas stations' air hoses have no working gauge. Most of us have air gauge sticks somewhere in the door or glove box, but the ease of seeing air go into the rear shocks was unbeatable. It was just there behind the seats ready for any adjustments, anywhere from a strange city to out in the small roadside stops. A rear bed without any "stuff" back there and the appropriate air in the shocks caused some hilarious moments. But, as soon as two 250cc desert racing motorcycles were loaded, then the tool box, cooler, food, sleeping bags and water tank were loaded, the El Camino was level with the ground.

While the El Camino was doing the stink bug act driving home from the neighborhood gas station, it was somewhat funny looking and handled a little quirky. But, as soon as the supplies were loaded, it handled like a dream and stayed that way for the whole weekend. Out in the desert, we usually found a small dirt hill that we backed up to unload our ramp and motorcycles. That way, the hill covered up the stink bug appearance of the El Camino in the wild.

Jnaki
    There was no need for an air compressor, but with the modern technology, the compressor could have fit in the rear floor chamber (in the bed) hidden out of the way. Back then, there were no compressors available for us. So the runs to the neighborhood gas stations were necessary.

This would work on your truck with your choice of air shocks. It was just a handy gauge. I am sure there are plenty of modern air gauges available today or one could be made with a simple "T" fitting on the bottom of the gauges.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

My ‘52 is a 3/4 ton and I moved the new rear end from under to on top of the rear springs for a lower stance. I’m not interested in the frame being on the ground! I have a 409 in it and have kept the heavy duty suspension. I am just wanting to beef up the back end more than shocks or air shocks will supply.

Thanks for the comments and I’ll definitely consider adding a compressor.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

For many years I pulled a 40 ft. 5th wheel all over the country and used Air Ride bags in conjunction with my stock springs to support my 3/4 ton suspension. I just used the lines in back set up to fill manually with a valve core thru the bumper beside the license plate. I did always carry an air bubble in the trailer as I deflated the bags when I unhooked the trailer at the shows. On the last truck I used the bags on I added a small compressor under the hood with a control inside the cab. The bags really stabilized the truck.

mkubacak likes this.
  15. OFT

OFT

mesa trip 032.jpg mesa trip 039.jpg PICT1821.JPG

OFT was low to ground (7" at running board) before built to haul larger 5th wheel. First picture shows air ride bag's in front of axle. When low to ground air bags were on top of axle with top brace same between hitch mounts.

16. Gangrene

Gangrene

Gimpy has this one figured out. Run a single leveling valve. Two have no benifit unless you are pulling on very uneven ground. Then it would help keep you planted.

17. alaska gasser

alaska gasser
    from New Mexico

Sounds like a good plan.

18. Agree on the supplemental air bags with the stock leafs. My COE has this setup, with axle flipped on top of leafs. Air up for heavy loads, works great. I have on board air compressor.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone