Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957-1960 Dodge/ Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, May 12, 2020.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Curious if the front of a 60 Dodge Dart would bolt onto a 57 Plymouth wagon. I have a mishmash of parts and thought if it was a bolt on project I may try it out. The whole front of the wagon is gone and the only thing good on the 60 is the front clip. By bolting on, I'm referring to sheet metal. I know one has a frame and the other is mostly unibody with a bolt on front frame clip.

2. scotts52

scotts52

The main cabin body looks the same to me but maybe I haven't really looked close enough to see all the differences.

3. scotts52

scotts52

The main cabin area looks the same to me but maybe I'm overlooking a myriad of differences

4. I would be surprised if it worked.

5. 62rebel

62rebel

Considering that Chrysler did that same crib to create the Dodge 880 I'd say give it a shot. Body contour is probably close enough.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@scotts52

From ‘57 thru ‘59 it definitely fits, but I think there is very good chance the ‘60 will also fit. Take a tape measure and a note pad and check it out. MOPAR did a lot of that at the factory, especially for other markets. A lot of Canadian Dodges were Plodges, using Plymouth body shells with Dodge front clips.

Heck, even my ‘53 Dodge Coronet 2 door hardtop is Plymouth shell based, as are the convertible and wagon models in ‘53/‘54, using the shorter Plymouth wheelbase too. The hardtops and convertibles did have ‘Dodge’ quarter panels and trunk lids. ‘55/‘56 Dodge and Plymouth front clips are bolt on interchange too.

Ray

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly the 57, 58 and 59 Dodges were similar but....I think the 60 was unibody, not a frame/ body like the earlier models which would probably make interchange more difficult. Interesting idea!

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

What have you got to loose? Hold the 60 Dodge fender up against the 57 Plymouth wagon and see how it fits. If it looks OK, its only metal, modify whatever it takes to get the job done. At my shop I would get the job done, the impossible just takes a little longer. You would have a one of custom wagon. If all else fails, you can probably chase down the front sheet metal off a 57-59 Dodge or Plymouth to put on the wagon. Gene

Hnstray likes this.
  9. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I have a couple of '57 and '58 Plymouth fenders, grills,HL assy. but you a long way from Arkansas.