Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1941 chevy rear axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy coupe person, May 8, 2020.

1. Hello I was wondering in my 41 coupe I'm planning on converting it open driveline but I was wondering since I have fully rebuilt the rear axle in the car I was wonder if there was a center chunk that will bolt into my rear axle housing with out much issue I already have the adapters and also have a 54 truck belhousing and also a crossmember made up for the swap

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

If it were a truck, you could....but not the cars.

chevy coupe person likes this.
  3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

squirrel, don't the 53-55 vette pumpkins fit that housing? Not that they're easy to find or cheap, but I thought they fit. Could be mistaken.

squirrel and chevy coupe person like this.
  4. Ok then is there anyway I can change the ring and pinion gears

5. squirrel

squirrel

pretty sure they do, but you gotta find one first.

What do you want to do? Change the ratio to something more highway friendly? or what?

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

7. Yeah my car at 50mph is all most 3000 rpms

8. Gofannon

Gofannon

3.55:1 gears from a powerglide car.

squirrel likes this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

A big issue to consider is the torque tube offers a great deal of structural support.
    Also the torque tube axle bolts up differently to the springs vs an open drive axle.

In short......
    Best practice for converting to open drive is to also convert to parallel leaf springs designed to function properly without the support of the torque tube .

10. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Hnstray and Johnny Gee like this.
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The easy button is to enjoy life in the slow lane. Choose your routes.

Souped up Stovebolts could cross the 100 mph mark with 4.11 gears but they were built for that and only in short bursts.

Stock and even souped up, the splash oiled/partial splash oiled Babbitt Pounders do not like prolonged runs over 60 mph for long stretches.

MO54Frank likes this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Gofannon is right, 3.55 gears from a Powerglide Chev, 1951 - 54 will fit. If you don't want to go hunting in the junk yards you can buy new 3.55 gear sets. Last I looked they were under $200, I think Patrick's has them, or one of the vintage Chevy parts places will.

The 3.55 gears and a later model, 53 - 62 235 will allow you to keep up with modern traffic within reason especially if you do a mild hop up. The real snazzy setup would be a hopped up 261 from a Chev truck 54 - 62.

13. squirrel

squirrel

do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to buy parts?

Hnstray, Moriarity and F-ONE like this.
  14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Hasn’t Patrick’s rolled over and floated to the top of the goldfish bowl?

15. squirrel

squirrel

I don't try to keep up, but you can search for the latest thread and find out.

16. As identified, one big problem is the stock rearend pivots on the leaf's. So if you remove the torque tube you lose any ability to control the torque reaction.
    So if going open drive, just swap a different open drive rearend in. Pay attention to the pin being offset on the leaf's due to the pivot stock.
    A 59 inch wide rearend is about right width. Can go up to 60, just watch wheel offset.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone