Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac 390.....Any Good?????????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by striper, Jun 19, 2008.

1. striper

striper

I have an opportunity to pick up a complete 390 (1960?) with a tranny for a couple hundred dollars. Owner says it needs rebuilding. It came out of his '55 when he put a SBC in it.

I know little about Caddies but of course being a '55 I had hoped for a 331.

What can you tell me about this motor? Are they compatible with the earlier ones or totally different? Speed parts? What tranny would it have?

Any education you can provide will be appreciated.

Pete

2. 1960 could have the dual-coupling hydramatic or would bolt to a slant-pan hydro. Both good transmissions. There was a thread on here the other day, a guy put one in a tractor and ran it as a farm machine for years. Cadillac sold several hundred thousand of them.

On the other hand I just junked one, I couldn't find anyone who gave a damn about it, so I picked some pieces and scrapped the rest. '60 is the first year for a full flow oil filter.

3. striper

striper

Thanks for the start of my 390 education. Anyone else?

4. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

i say grab it and use it

5. naki kid

naki kid

The caddy 390 came out in 59 not in 55 must have been put in by someone.It is a real good motor I think around 335 horse the eldo had triple carbs and 345-350horse.

6. striper

striper

Sounds good. I think I'll grab it.

I just didn't want to get it only to find it was the ugly duckling of the Caddy motors.

I don't own a boat so an anchor would be no good to me.

Would the trans be a 4 sp Hydro?

Pete

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

I have a 51 331 in my car and bought a 59 390 . Very nice looking motors but very costly to rebuild .

8. striper

striper

They're all costly to rebuild out here. Except SBCs. I don't think I should let that stop me.

Anyone have pics of a nicely dressed one? Or a nice stocker?

Pete

9. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

We put a 390 in our '57 Coupe de Ville with a tri-power set up (I think I am saying that right), runs well now. I'll email my husband Slick50 and ask if he saw this thread for his input.

10. striper

striper

Thanks, the more feedback the better.

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

Pull up posts by evil . His is nice . I wasnt knocking the price just warning you . I know MONEY is no object for some people tho.

12. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

i dont think these motors are more expensive to rebuild than other interesting motors-- like a Nailhead, etc. sure, small block chevy's are lower cost-- but they are cheaper because they are a commodity-- everyone has them. if you're looking for something with a lot more soul than a SBC, this is a great motor.

Parts such as valve covers, intakes, etc will inner-change with the 331/365. The 390 is basically the same motor-- with improvements through the years and additional bore and stroke.
    i've built and run about 4 different 390's through the years in different cars, and have another one planned someday. i dig 'em.

-scott noteboom

j-jock likes this.
  13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I've got a 61 390 for my girlfriends A pickup. The earlier script valve covers fit right on. They're pretty, great sounding motors. Search for Jonny Cola's model A. I know he's got a 390 with 6 dueces. Awesome lookin motor.

14. striper

striper

Thanks guys. That's the sort of stuff I was after... compatability with ealy stuff and so on. Do I keep the hydro?

Dirty 2. It's not that money is no object but let's face it, if it was all about money none of us would be doing what we are doing. It all costs. As you know it just costs a bit more for something really cool. And thanks, I didn't know evel's was a 390.

Cheers, Pete

15. Im running a 365 in my shoebox. There are a few companies that make adapter kits to run a manual or a newer gm auto tranny. Kanter has alot of rebuild parts/carb kits/what-not for em. I would plan on putting a new water pump on that motor.

16. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it similar to a 303, 324, and 371?
    I think the old Caddy and Olds engines are pretty sweet myself. I'm a sucker for most old engines though, mainly Olds, but Poncho, Buick, Caddy, and a little bit of Stude, or AMC here or there makes me happy too. All inline engines get me all warm and fuzzy on the inside though. Ok now back to the thread!

17. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

Pete-
    If at all possible, try and pick up the May 2008 issue of Hot Rod Deluxe as there is a very good build article on a basic overhaul of a '59 Cad 390- after reading that, I'd definitely keep one if it was given to me. I won't rewrite the article here but they dynoed it after the rebuild and, while the peak HP was only 286 @ 4800, peak torque was 383 @ 3000 and was over 320 lb-ft from 2800 to 4600 rpm. And that's with a piece of shit Carter WCFB 400 cfm carby. This was with a .027 overbore and a pretty basic overhaul- new pistons and bearings, a Steve Long Racing cam and new timing chain. They port- matched the heads and did a little cleanup in the runners. That dead flat torque line is pretty fucking awesome, I'd like to see what this rebuild would do with about a 600-625 carb on it that can actually flow!
    You can get all overhaul supplies for it from Egge's. I'd go ahead and run it if I were you, it's a hell for stout low revving torquer, it won't cost you a mint for a basic overhaul, and it's different.

18. striper

striper

Well I just picked it up. It has the carb, generator, power steer pump and trans.

I'm very curious to get it pulled down because they guy who I got it from was told it had been recoed when he bought the car. When he couldn't get it to turn over he pulled it and installed a SBC.

It very obviously has new gaskets, freeze plugs and a full sump of clean oil etc. I'm quietly hoping that it has had a rebuild and there's something simple stopping it from turning. It did turn about 1/2 a turn then stopped he said.

For $300 I figured it was worth a gamble.

Thanks for the info so far and I'm happy to hear more

Pete

j-jock likes this.
  19. Dirty2

Dirty2

Heres you an intake on ebay . This is the one I have on mine .
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100&#37;" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Cadillac Edelbrock 4X2 Intake CD-694 331 365 390</TD><TD class=titlecell2 noWrap width="10%">Item number: 320265396533</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

20. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

If you were going to try to find a dual 4 barrel intake for it I have a AFB from a '65 Cady 390, carb # 3904, you could use for a front carb. The choke was removed and it is very clean, needs a kit though. It was on a BBC dual quad intake I bought a few months ago. PM me if interested, I will make you a great deal!

Sorry, shameless self promotion.

Mart McFly

21. jonnycola

jonnycola

I love caddy motors. Here's one in my model A. It's a '62 390.

[​IMG]

Evel's got one of the best dressed ones I've ever seen

[​IMG]

Mr sloppyseconds does too...
    [​IMG]

Pictures stolen from Coop.

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If I'm not mistaken...R & C just did a "build" on a 390" Caddy motor...or maybe it was Rod & Kulture...or one of them anyway...it was pretty extensive and covered all the idiosyncrasies of the engine...perhaps someone else will remember where the article was...

R-

23. GaryM

GaryM

24. striper

striper

Now we're really cooking. I don't have any plans for the motor just yet. I have a 36 5W that was going to get a 48 flat head. Maybe a Caddy would be cooler? I love multiple carbs but the nailhead that is going in my A has 3x2s so I'm thinking maybe 2x4s. Anyhow I suppose I should just start collecting and see where it leads me.

On the trans adapters...does it need a 4sp or is the Hydro a good choice?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Pete

25. striper

striper

Thanks,
    Someone else posted earlier that it was May Rod and Kulture. I'll have a look at the newsagent today.

Pete

26. hotrod69

hotrod69
    from warren tx

i did the rebuild work on my 390 and found the engine to be very close to a sbc, but much improved. the intake is easy to change because it comes off with out getting into the water jacket or the distributor, the only problem is the non adj. rockers,intakes are hard to comeby as well as water pumps, the rest is readly avalable

27. KustomKid9

KustomKid9

Hey guys can u help me I just bought a 1959 caddy 390 engine and i have a 1950 caddy 62 cp will this engine fit with no problem in my 50 caddo

28. Dogberg likes this.
  29. Dogberg

Dogberg

30. john W.

john W.

My 60 caddy ELDO has the 390 3x2 Rochesters.
    Stock rebuild on Dyno said 275 bhp.
    Thinking progressive linkage.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021