Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FUEL HOSE REVELATION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike in tucson, May 6, 2020.

1. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

A few years back we built a '55 Willys Jeep into a rockcrawler vehicle. As part of the build, we put an electric fuel pump inside the fuel cell. I used 5/16" ID Gates hose marked "fuel" from the pump to the fuel cell bulkhead fitting. Recently, we saw a fuel pressure loss and thought we had a bad pump. Upon disassembly, we found the Gates hose had disintegrated where it attached to the fuel pump... a location that was always submersed in gasoline. Researching, we found that "FUEL" hose is not gas resistant on the outside of the hose!!! We found that there are three types of hoses: (1) fuel hose that is gas resistant on the hose ID and good for 40ish PSI, (2) fuel injection hose that is good for about 100PSI, and (3) SUBMERSIBLE fuel hose that can take pressure AND survive being submersed in gasoline. Submersible Gates hose is relatively hard to find and costs about $15 a foot. It is available in 1 foot and 10 foot lengths. The longer length is Gates p/n 27080. Replacing the FUEL hose with SUBMERSIBLE hose solved the problem.

302GMC, dana barlow, alfin32 and 10 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good tip to keep under all of our hats.

3. Good to know. Thanks.

mad mikey and dirty old man like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Who'd a thunk it, right? Good to know.

5. I believe the same standards apply to oil, PCV, trans fluid, really any petro byproduct. Though none of these hoses are usually submerged, someone somewhere may have a situation where the O.D. extra resistant duty hose should be used

6. primed34

primed34

For fuel lines, I use hose that's alcohol resistant. Ethanol eats up regular fuel hose.

7. Leads to another situation you should all look at also is Barricade hose which has a membrane built inside as a layer to control ethanol style fuels from permeating the outer protective layer.

8. BJR

BJR

Thanks for the heads up. I learn something new here every day. Every once in a while I get to contribute something worthwhile. :)

harpo1313 likes this.
  9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have been using silicone braided hose , it seems to work well but I haven’t used it long enough to determine the quality .