Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures A Trip down Market Street, April 14, 1906

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, May 5, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This was posted before, can't find the thread, but somebody has done a whiz bang hi tech makeover. Check it out. 3 days before the earthquake...

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you for sharing. Interesting how some things don’t change much: there’s still People cleaning the poop in the streets there.

3. Yep....cars cutting off the slower ones - the horse buggy's ! Thanks for sharing - my grandfather would be arriving soon in 1909........

4. evintho

evintho

Yep, that looks like the way people drive in the city today! Nothings changed!

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Amazing... where's all the fat people?

Also notice that most of the cars are right hand drive. They sure cut in and out closely between the street cars.

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This pre-dates the Model T by several years, interesting the motor cars that were around, and not belching out smoke. And as antiquated as the cars look, the cable cars look the same today.

[​IMG]

7. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I am impressed with the soundtrack.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

For those that don't follow baseball, the Brooklyn Dodgers were originally called the "Trolly Dodgers" in 1892 and the name was later shortened to "Dodgers". I can see why they were given that name by looking at this video. I guess they didn't give summonses for "jaywalking" back then. Some of those drivers in both cars and wagons cut it close, there must have been a lot of accidents.

blowby likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Close calls. Nothing’s changed.:D

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I take it you have not been to SF recently.

Private cars and trucks are no longer permitted on Market Street, from 10th, on down.

11. evintho

evintho

I'm aware, Gimp. No, I haven't been over there in a month or so. My point is they drive like that anywhere in the city although I'll bet its much better now with the SIP in place! I grew up in Mill Valley so a lot of time was spent over there in the '60s/'70s. Now, however I tend to stay away unless absolutely necessary. It's crazy driving in SF! Maybe I'm just getting old.