Register now to get rid of these ads!

I’m Justin and I just bought an early 47 Chevy

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by yoothgeye, May 4, 2020.

1. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

Evidently for some reason I joined The H.A.M.B. back in 2013 but never posted. Probably because I sometimes build antique bikes.

For many many years I’ve wanted a 50s truck. Once COVID closed my work (I’m an elementary art teacher) I started selling bikes and doing repairs to make some side cash. Once I had enough I started looking and asking around and picked this up:

[​IMG]

The story is that this is an early 47 Chevy that was bought as a parts truck about 25 years ago. Some parts were used to build another 46-47 and the rest has sat under a shelter ever since.

[​IMG]

No title. I made an offer only based on it having a chassis/cab. Once home I realized the drivetrain might be salvageable.

I have lots to learn and I’m taking it slow. I did make my own clutch head screwdriver tonight and managed to fix my door latches so they now close and open.

Hoping to get the inline 6 running, make it move, confirm a title, and keep building.

It’s so good for you all to meet me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Welcome. All you need now is lots of time, elbow grease and a couple bushel baskets full of hundred dollar bills. It looks like you have a pretty good start, there have been many trucks built starting with much worse. Good luck with your project, slow and steady is the way to go!

3. Welcome Justin!! It's been cool watching you get excited about this truck! I know I'm biased, but I just love these Art Deco trucks!

I have little room to talk, but as stated above, the tortoise approach works well. Give me a call or shoot me a message whenever you get stumped.

And we need to get together and chat over bikes soon!

4. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

I’ve got tendonitis in my elbows so I’m substituting a lot of PB Blaster right now. I also changed out all my $100 bills for singles to make my bushel baskets look more full.

JUSTIN PERSINGER likes this.
  5. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

Thanks, I was in your state for literally 2 minutes once.

6. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

Sounds like a plan. I still actually have that old Stingray frame sitting the same place it was years ago when you asked about one.

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. Looking at that blue engine check something out. Is the rocker cover held on with studs coming thru the top or does it have the 4 small bolts around the base? I ask because the later 235 engines were blue and had the 4 bolts around the edge. My avatar photo here shows the 1957 235 Chevy engine in my 46 Chevy Coupe.
    As you say it is without a title you should work on getting that first as it is very hard to get one is some states.
    Keep us updated on your progress. T great sources for parts on that model are www.chevsofthe40s.com and www.fillingstation.com Both have online stores and offer paper catalogs. Chevs of the 40's even has a separate catalog for trucks. Jimmie

8. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado

9. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

These are bolts. So what is it?

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

10. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

Thanks, bet you can find less rusty stuff there.

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. That head casting # is the same as on my 1957 235 cubic inch engine and that is NOT a valve cover for a 216 engine for the 47. That is considered the best of the heads by that # 3836848. That engine has the full pressure oiling system and has the modern full flow crank & rod bearings. So unless you feel you must have a V8 for what ever reason this 235 engine is worth fixing up. So if you need engine parts the 1957 235 engine is what you speicfy. Most of those pickups had the 355 ratio ring & pinion and with standard tire sizes you can cruise with the traffic at about the same RPM as a modern car running in third gear(not in overdrive). My 46 Coupe with the 355 rear and 700R16 rear tires and the stock 3 on the tree would give me 20+- MPG at 65 MPH with the 235 engine shown in my photo. It is bored 0.060, hot cam, dual 2 barrell Weber carbs. headers with dual stock mufflers & a HEI ignition. MY coupe is currently out of service due to being rear ended and I am currently finishing out my 50 Plymouth Deluxe & when done will begin getting the 46 Coupe back on the road.
    I bought a ton of parts from both Cfevs of the 40's & from the Filling Station when fixing it up.
    Jimmie.

yoothgeye likes this.
  12. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

Jimmy, thanks for all the great information. Knowing it has a newer (yet vintage) and more powerful engine makes it feel like a Hot Rod already. Once I saw the condition of the engine my plan was to try and make it go, so this plan has just been encouraged further.

13. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

The nice part about Chevrolet's is that you can use parts from various years of vehicles. For example, you can look at brake setups from gbody's or S10's of the 80's. They have the 5x4 3/4 wheel stud spacing.
    I had a 1966 Chevy C10 short wheel base stepside and I was able to use the 305/th350 and the driveshaft out of a 78 Malibu with a combination ujoint.
    Working on a basket full of $1 bills budget will require some research and ingenuity.

Dual cylinder master cylinders began in 1967, and a manual one of a 1967 Chevy C10 is cheap at autoparts store. You can use a brake like switch from a 1985 S10 as it is a 2 prong switch and this will get you brake lights with some wiring.
    Headlight switches for a 1975 Chevy C10 are cheap and available at an autoparts store also.
    Depending on what seats you want to use, salvage yards have great choices of buckets or benches fairly cheap.

I built my 66 C10 for a total of just under $5k. It was nicknamed the Junkyard dog, since it was a hodgepodge of years and vehicle parts.
    P82A0209.jpeg P82A0210.jpeg P82A0212.jpeg

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

yoothgeye likes this.
  14. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

I always work on the cheap and love cobbling stuff together. From your hints maybe I’ll end up stealing parts from my other truck.

IMG_3416.JPG

Luckily my seat is actually usable.

IMG_3417.JPG

15. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Let me bring up a very important thing, and I can not stress this enough. Before spending a bunch of money on this project make sure you get a clean title in your name. It will save you many heart aches later!!

yoothgeye likes this.
  16. yoothgeye

yoothgeye

Absolutely. Thank you. No investment besides time until I get the paper. I know the family who had it sitting for the last 25 years. I live in NC but have family in VA where it was last registered and may be easier to get a title. Title is the only thing making me move slowly right now.