Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical wiring help needed (38 CHEVY TRUCK FUEL GAUGE)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, May 4, 2020.

1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fuel gauge shots take 2 002.JPG fuel gauge shots take 2 003.JPG fuel gauge rear view 001.JPG what wires connect to the fuel gauge .2 terminals one bigger than the other #6? and #8 ?threads what goes where?thanx

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. If that's a fuel gauge, what is that copper tube running out of the back?

3. squirrel

squirrel

fuel gauge on top, temp gage on bottom

nunattax likes this.
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

beat me to it jim ,it a fuel gauge all right

Last edited: May 4, 2020

5. squirrel

squirrel

I should go look in my 39 shop manual, see if it has anything. It was set up so the original wiring would only fit one way, but that doesn't help much, 80 years later.

6. squirrel

squirrel

should be power on the pin that's towards the US driver side when it's installed in the car. Sender on the other side. So, in your picture with it laying face down on the bench, power to the right side terminal.

7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

jim,removed the nuts from the pins and removed the leather insulater.embossed on the leather above the large pin is TANK below is AC .below the smaller pin in small capitals made in the usa.does that make sense chris that would mean large pin to sender 6v to small pin.that still doesn't help me my gauges came from jim carter converted to 12v.called them but I could be caller number 3 for ever at international call rates fuel gauge rear view 001.JPG

8. squirrel

squirrel

If one is marked TANK then you probably should connect that one to the sender!

Having been "converted".....who knows....

nunattax likes this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

12v gauge is in the dash

TFoch likes this.
  10. That's the way mine was wired. The power wire goes to ignition switch. 38 sedan.

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

.[​IMG]info received from jim carter trucks.two terminals behind the gauge.one near E,the other behind F.info says 12v hot wire to E side and sender connects to F .small problem it reads F when power is turned on with half a tank .electrican due to call back.reads E with the power off.TANKS INC trouble shooting page says it could be bad earth or broken wire.time will tell which is which.sender 0-30 is a tanks inc item.info was clear and gauge didn't have to be removed to connect it up.