Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this radiator out of?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, May 1, 2020.

1. Anyone know what this crossflow radiator with the 5/8th wide opening across the top is originally out of ? Kind of ot so delete if necessary, Thanks. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. pitman

pitman

Can't confirm, might be a Ford crossflow, I've used Focus ones that resemble, when stood up^ they fit the '30-31 A shell nicely. Plastic tank mods are reqd.

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Looks like a early bronco 66-77 or 65-68 mustang turned on it side

4. squirrel

squirrel

if we could see the whole radiator, it would help.

And the bracket that you are referring to, is made differently on different replacement radiators for the same application, so finding one that's the same as that, could be challenging.

5. Its 26 x 18 x 3 crossflow (not turned on its side) lower outlet passenger side, upper outlet drivers side.

6. squirrel

squirrel

No way to get another picture of it?

7. Car is a OT 70,s car, was trying not to show the car. Radiator is not stock for the car.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I think you've got about all the info you can, with what you've provided. good luck

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Fixed the title,
    Was: what radiator is this out of?
    Don't think a picture of the coolant would even help with that..

J. A. Miller likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean you can’t put your camera at the hood hinge and take a photo? Even with a shroud it would help. Go to a radiator shop and ask them. One more why? Something wrong with that one? Not cooling? Overheating?

11. Will idle at 190 in 100 degree heat all day, get on highway jumps to 230. Looked at a ton of cars at Goodguys, tops of radiator always covered. Asked one of the venders inside , they had no clue. [​IMG]

12. Weird. Have you owned this long enough to know the hose history ? Maybe one is missing an internal support spring .. & its collapsing upon itself at speed ?

Obstruction in radiator ? Flushed it ? Thermostat ?Sure you've done those already.

I always took my radiators to Texas Auto Radiator on Main in Deep Ellum. Old school radiator shop.

I don't know anyone in Carrollton .. but I'm sure a radiator shop is closer to you. Maybe Irving, or Lewisville ..

VANDENPLAS and Paul like this.
  13. Yep ,new hoses with spring, 180 thermostat, flushed it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

sure looks like a GM radiator, as mentioned. From the 70s, probably X or F body. Fords have the hoses on the other side.

15. Ok. More questions ...

Did you build the engine ? Correct head gaskets ? What water pump is on it ? Maybe a later reverse rotation water pump ?

Have a digital laser temp gun ? Is the top hose hotter than the lower ?

Maybe the impeller is off/loose/defective on the shaft ?

Bubbles in radiator with cap off ? Maybe exhaust gas bypassing head gasket .. cracked head ..

Lastly .. what is the ignition timing ?

Excited !! Finally .. small block Ford questions on here. :rolleyes::)

Texas Webb and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Didnt build it, water pump outlet on passenger side, heater blocked off, no bubbles last time I checked. 16lb radiator cap. Inlet side top read 174 same side bottom 150, outlet side top 162, outlet bottom 163. gauge was reading 190. Timing 20 inital, 36 all in , thats where it feels the best.

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have any pictures of the fan/shroud arrangement? If it cools well at idle, it should be capable of cooling at speed, we just need to find out why is isn't.

-Abone.

18. Don’t know cfm. Fan runs all the time. [​IMG]

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting more photos. Had the same problem on a dirt track super stock. Close off air flow to the edges of the side to the fenders and make a top aluminum plate to seal the radiator to the hood; use a foam or rubber seal. We bought a seal from Mc Master-Carr with a collapsible round hollow top with a straight opening on the bottom.
    Force ALL the air in the front of the car threw the radiator. It took a 240 degree car to a 190.
    It would be good to shroud every bit of air by the fan but not necessary if you ok at idle.

kidcampbell71 and warhorseracing like this.
  20. I had a weird overheating problem one time on an OT '79 Toyota pickup. Checked coolant level. hoses, no leaks, replaced thermostat, nothing helped. Water pump bearing was tight, no leakage around shaft. Pulled the water pump anyway. Fins on the impeller had completely rusted away, there was nothing left of the impeller to move the coolant. Replaced water pump, problem solved.

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You don't happen to have a late model reverse rotation timing cover and running a standard rotation early pump do you?

22. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at your fan setup, I would have guessed it would be fine on the highway but overheat at an idle. The radiator is pretty good size, there are no real obstructions and the big hole in the hood should help get rid of heat on the road.

What do you have going on between the radiator and the radiator support? Is that empty space, or is that the top of the electric fan?

-Abone.

23. Its the top of the fan shroud.

24. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

67-69 f body.

25. Is there possibly a tag on it - it does look GM but I believe everyone were putting a tag on those cross flow radiators as it was what everyone was going too. So narrow - Vega - Monza - Citation ?

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

GM. Now just measure the core width. Looks like 21"