Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting a 51 Buick Straight 8 (oil Priming)

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by UWBernie, Apr 30, 2020.

1. UWBernie

UWBernie

I recently picked up a 51 Buick Special Delux, I plan on checking out the cylinders via a bore scope and turning things over by hand first, but I know you can run the oil pump from a modified distributor (i don't have an extra) or oil priming tool. Does anyone know if any off the shelf priming tools made for another engine would work on the straight 8?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut off an old long screwdriver and use a 1/2” drill motor if it has the same slot bottom as aGMC. I’ve even used a 1/4” round rod or piece of all thread and beat it with big hammer on a closed vice and with a grinding or filing made do.
    I’ve never had to seal anything like a SBC to prime one. It’s nice to have the rocker cover off to see that the top is getting oil too.

3. nickleone

nickleone

If the Buick has oil galley plugs you can pressure oil it thru them.
    I used an air canister with 5 gts of oil and fittings including a shut off valve to pressure feed my Rambler 196.

Nick

4. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

When I first started all three Pontiac straight 8s I have I sprayed Stabil fogging oil liberally in all cylinders then let it sit overnight. Next day I hooked a battery up and leaving the plugs out I cranked the motors for about 10 seconds at a time. I did this several times until I got an oil pressure reading on the gauge. Then I installed the plugs and cranked the motor without turning the ignition switch on. (You can do this with early 50s Pontiacs. Turning the key on energizes the electrical system giving spark to the motor) After assuring oil pressure I turn the key on and check for spark and gas. The motor should crank

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fogging-oil/

5. UWBernie

UWBernie

Thanks for the insight, I'm working on getting the valves unstuck before I try to get oil flowing and spin the engine over.