Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods From Tempest to Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zettle Bros., Apr 28, 2020.

1. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Guys need some help here. Bought a 1964 Pontiac Tempest last year and like the car. Thing is I just seen a Model A sedan built in the traditional way come up for sale. Not sure if I should sell off the Tempest and buy the A or not. Any thoughts?
    IMG_7446 2.jpg 22291496_346188695831535_2119145417115141323_o.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A hard decision but what do feel in your bones? Is your desire for a hot rod or you like a cruiser. Seems that you are leaning to the hot rod since you are thinking about. What makes you happy , I say go for it. Life is too short.

Ron Funkhouser and Zettle Bros. like this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

No, for all of the reasons you already are thinking, being practical is at the top of the list.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's always been my favorite Tempest of the whole production run. Good solid car, easy to work on, easy and not expensive to get parts for and great looking since the day it was built.
    Not that I don't like that Model A The only thing I would do to it is put a real exhaust system on it so I could drive it without without wearing my shooting range earmuffs.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

A nice clean 64 Tempest is a lot harder to find than a Model A and in my opinion worth a lot more. Don't let this deal be one of those that you think back on and wish you had not let the Pontiac go.

6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Keep the Tempest, buy the A.
    "Double your Pleasure, Double your Fun..." :D .
    Marcus...

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

“We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.”
    Uhm, Shakespere? The Tempest? wow, tough room. Let me me make this easier, keep the poncho.

8. A mans reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for.... Poncho all the way. Why follow the crowd, when it's so much easier to lead.

9. Phil1934

Phil1934

Super nice Tempest with good chrome, especially in the Rust Belt. It's a keeper.

10. In the last year, I've seen about 300 model A Fords. No '64 Tempests at all. Love the A you showed. But that Poncho is sweet! Keep it.

11. Do everything you can to keep both. I like the Tempest and the "A". They'll loan anybody money nowadays.:)

12. My A was cool, but lacked...trunk / storage space, visibility, a feeling of security (especially if rear-ended), the front bone perches also are “thin” compared later years (could be changed) and it attracted too much attention for my liking. To each their own...

Zettle Bros. and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. 392

Another vote for tempest. Looks sweet

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  15. You ask'en for my opinion ? Well if your only 45 years old. I say go for the A Hot Rod. But I would definitely try to have both. I love Pontiacs, and have a 389 tri power in my 29 coupe. There's nothing more FUN than a model A!!!!!!!:) Ron............

16. It’s your garage!

Zettle Bros. and tractorguy like this.
  17. oldolds

oldolds

Both cars check the boxes on my list! Different boxes but enough so I would be happy with either one. The decision as to which one depends on your lifestyle. If you have to drive the car daily and how many people go with you on a regular basis. That Tempest is a bit more practical as most above have stated. That makes it the "better" car. The A is a Hot Rod, that make it a car you "need" to have!

18. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Had a '64 LeMans convertible, great car (other than a gas gauge that read 1/4 when it was empty). Think I could remember that 30 miles from home? Nooooooo! D'oh!!

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would keep the Pontiac, but I would put a set of Hurst wheels, or Cragars or Chrome steel slots on it.....

20. 2935ford

2935ford

If you have had an A like that before you know what you're in for.....they are two extremes in vehicles.
    I have had many A's love them all but that Tempest, hmmmmmmm nice car.
    If you can afford......keep the Tempest and buy the A.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Zettle Bros. and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  21. *With red line tires*

QUOTE="Moriarity, post: 13559226, member: 218"]I would keep the Pontiac, but I would put a set of Hurst wheels, or Cragars or Chrome steel slots on it.....[/QUOTE]

chiro, 41rodderz, slowmotion and 6 others like this.
  22. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I may be bias I love pontiacs so I say keep the 64. But I understand wanting a hot rod, I say get the a AND keep the 64. I have 2 running cars, my 39 Pontiac and a 68 firebird, sometimes it’s hard to decide on the one to drive.

23. I went through the same dilemma when I was considering trading my '50 Dodge for the T. The Dodge was a nice driving, comfortable with a great running 318/727 combo. But when I realized how often I actually drove it, and how it only came out of the garage in good weather, I knew I would rather do it in something more radical. It's your decision, if you can do both, win/win!

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You don't see many Tempest.. You always see GTOs.. That particular "A" is NOT as cool as the Tempest.. I'd keep that really cool Tempest....

26. Apples and oranges
    My choice Pontiac, with a wheel change.
    If you're hung up on an A, buy a cheap project and make it your own.
    Two distinctly different cars in the garage is a nice choice to have.

27. Joe H

Joe H

Drive the A first and see how it rides compared to the Pontiac.

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Cars come and go. If you've enjoyed the poncho enough already and want to experience the A, well then do it. If you get tired of the A then move on again. Always someone willing to trade,buy or sell.

30. This. The A is about the journey. The Pontiac is about the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob, redoxide, Hombre and 3 others like this.