Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 business coupe backseat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim38, Apr 27, 2020.

1. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Can a seat be installed in a ford 50 business coupe that has a platform from factory? If so is it hard and or expensive? Im looking at buying one but it has a platform and thats a deal breaker for me. Everything else is perfect. Thanks in advance.

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

A bit of fabricating and you should be good. Same body as a club coupe.

3. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Ive read that people put small fold down seats from extended cab pickups or even boat style seats. If it takes alot of fabrication i might look for something else. Hes supposed to send me some pics so i can better understand configuration.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Seat and hardware from a Club Coupe will fit, was a $53 option for the Business Coupe or so I was told by the original owner of my '51.

Dirty Dug likes this.

5. Don't know about a '50, but a '57 Business Sedan oem rear platform is worth a bunch. I've been told over $2,000 IF you can find one.

6. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't understand your statement that it would be a "deal breaker". Can you elucidate on that point please?

8. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

As far as it not having a backseat is a deal breaker for me. I have two kids and i want them to be able to cruise around with me. Im looking to purchase car.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  9. What seb fontana said - if you look you could find one - don't think they could be much different than a regular two door....

10. catdad49

catdad49

Danny (HRP) has a Club Coupe, PM him. What is width across the back and where the seat bottom would be? Chrysler mini van rear seat is around 46 ". I believe an T Bird wrap around rear seat can be made to work. All I got, Carp.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. ..I'm pretty sure it sold.:)

catdad49 and slim38 like this.
  12. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Anybody with actual experience in this have any info they can share?

13. Yeah, I sold it. HRP

14. Slopok

Slopok

A Business Coupe is the one everybody wants!:cool:

sidevalve8ba and slim38 like this.
  15. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Screenshot_20200428-171011_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200428-171005_Facebook.jpg IMG_1508.jpg IMG_1509.jpg IMG_1510.jpg Here are a few pics he sent me.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Slopok likes this.
  16. Slopok

Slopok

It will be much easier to have a back seat installed in that than to buy a car with a back seat that needs body work, engine and suspension work! When I was young I rode around in the back of a pickup truck unrestrained!:eek:

slim38 likes this.
  17. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Anyone have a 50 business coupe with a backeseat? Id like to see a pic?

18. The Judge is/was not a business coupe, but it had no seats when I bought it. As you can see in this gallery, the back seat that I bought was the wrong one (must have been from a sedan) but it was pretty easy to make it work. I suspect that if you cut out the platform, you will find a "regular floor " structure underneath the platform, but that is a guess. The first entry of this gallery is a video...
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/The-Interior/

slim38 likes this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have owned both a ‘50 two door sedan and a Deluxe Club Coupe. The rear seats look the same at a glance, but the Business /Club Coupe lower cushion is shorter, front to rear, because the roof and passenger compartment are shorter. That is common for Coupes vs Sedans.

Easiest to install, of course, would be a ‘49/‘51 Coupe seat assembly, but may not be the easiest to find. Some salvage yard time with a tape measure may turn up a great alternative seat from a later model mid size or semi compact car...either 2 or 4 door. The shorter wheelbase of later mid size often resulted in shorter cushions and yet the width is usually big enough for the need you have. If the cushions are not quite wide enough, the interior upholstery side panels can be modified to fill the gap.

I agree with the above stated opinion that if the car is very sound and otherwise to your liking, you would be better off with it needing a rear seat than a lesser choice that may have a seat, but needs more difficult and/or expensive work.

Ray

slim38 likes this.
  20. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

There's a yard near me that sells nothing but old car parts you could contact them and see if they have a club coupe seat frame. Moorrs auto salvage in rapid city South Dakota. I've heard they are expensive but they might have what you need.

stillrunners and slim38 like this.
  22. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

23. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@'49 Ford Coupe . Wow! Great pics and great video. I appreciate it. Im sure i can make it work now.

24. Thanks..glad it gave you some inspiration

25. This is a photo of the rear seat that was in my 50 club coupe, the bottom of the seat wasn't to comfortable for adults. HRP

[​IMG]

slim38 likes this.