Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 Ford Steering arm on Early steering boxes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fairlane500, Apr 20, 2020.

1. My son picked up some parts in the shop today while working on his project, it may be well known I dont know, but thought I would share as it may help someone.

The 57 Ford steering arm is the same centre to centre and alignment even with the dogleg as a 35-36 steering arm, only difference is reversed taper in the ball joint end which will still "tuck in:" in some applications. View attachment 4652269 View attachment 4652270 View attachment 4652269 View attachment 4652270

Useless information maybe but....

Attached Files:

2. Is the splined shaft hole the same? It looks bigger in the photo.

3. I can add a little more info here being your talking about passenger car arms. The Manual steer arm and the Power steer arms are not the same length and the 4 key splines are clocked just a bit different from one to the other. I don't know if that matters at all but it is a fact. I recently learned this by Assuming a pitman arm is a pitman arm. Figured it out when trying to get the steering wheel clocked on center with steering gear on center. Adjusting it in the tie rods to center the steering wheel I lost turning radi. Mix-n-match your parts carefully.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That 57 arm is used for a long time; the manual box on my '72 Comet is the same.

Dave Mc likes this.

5. Same both fitted on the same steering box.

56don likes this.
  6. nobby

nobby

anyone know of a
    pitman arm that is a mirror of the 60's ford
    1 1/8''for 800 Saginaw
    clocked like a chevy power box rather than the 45 degree round ford verion

that 57 spline - going through the master splines to the tie rod taper - it doesn't look like a straight line....
    hmm

7. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if this fits in here. But you guy's are talking steering arms. I have a G.M. steering box on my '40. when I raised the front end, the drag link went crazy down-hill. I used an arm for Jeep with a 4" chassis lift. Had to open the tapered end a little. But it worked out really good. Gene.

8. Gene, good to see you on the H.A.M.B. , nick.

alphabet soup likes this.
  9. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Nick...good to hear from you!