Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What inspired your online name

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Black Sheep, every family has one. My extended family are all doctors, dentists, teachers, clergy and highly educated pillars of the community. Then there’s me, the blue collar dirt ball with grease stained hands wearing a car show T-shirt. It didn’t take long for me to figure out who the black sheep of the family was.

I have used that handle on every Internet forum I have ever participated in.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  2. dwollam

dwollam

Mine is simply my 1st initial "D" and last name. That's also my email dwollam@.......
    I use it on most everything.

Dave (which is actually my middle name but my 1st name also starts with D)

3. So you’re saying the dude abides?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1) You know the old saw about the mechanic's car being the one that always needs work? I spent a good part of my life as a Harley mechanic.
    2) I've had 5 major surgeries to repair damage from bike and car wrecks and worn out body parts.

It just seemed appropriate.

5. 24riverview

24riverview

When I was signing up for that auction site everything clever that I could come with was taken, so I tried the street address of a property I'd bought not to long before. No longer accurate, post office or somebody changed all the numbers a few years back. Use it several different places.

6. Grimpala

Grimpala
    from DFW

Bought a 96 Impala SS in college, put a 6spd, stroker, and 4.56 gears in it. It was a handful to drive. I had a buddy who's little brother has called me Grandpa since the 4th grade. He merged Grim/Grandpa/Impala all together to form Grimpala.

7. Deuces

Deuces

I used to hang out with a guy named Buford.... I always called him Burf...... :D

8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

My son gave me the name when I signed up here as I am a professional artist.

9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

QUIK85 - Because of the '85 Mustang GT I owned for a hell of a long time.
    It was easy and inexpensive to build up and it was quick. I loved going
    headhunting on weekends. 396 Chevelles? Yeah, sure. 442's? What are those?

Deuces, 1Nimrod, 41 GMC K-18 and 5 others like this.
  10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Aha! I have a cousin out there.

11. Willy Lee

Willy Lee

Mine is a Johnny Cash reference.

12. I thought the same thing..ha ha ha

13. Woop FM was a happening place back then. They only have Fro daddy and the Matador left 99.9 on your FM dial. Hit them on the net also

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

14. Not Jack Brown

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Willy Lee like this.
  15. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

My birth certificate.

16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Sky Six is a call sign, I was a Radio Operator on my southeast vacation in 69-70 after high school.

17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

figure it fits ...all i am worth is about 10 dollars ...and 10 spot would have sounded like i was one of them there rap singers .....ha ha

j-jock, 1Nimrod, dana barlow and 7 others like this.
  18. Mine is "Art Center Dropout". In 1966 I applied and was admitted to the Los Angeles Art Center College of Design. Since I was 19 and lived in N.C. just the trip across the country was quite an adventure. I packed up my old 58 Deray 2 dr. and a small U-Haul and headed for Hollywood. I had to sell my 40 Ford 2 dr. with 265 to get the money for school. I was overwhelmed by all of the cool hot rods I would see most everyday. The Art Center used to be on Wilshire and I lived on Montrose Ave.
    I quickly found out that I was too young and not quite talented to enough to compete. It was one of the best times of my young life though and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

j-jock, 1Nimrod, dana barlow and 8 others like this.
  19. My name is Don. I was building my 56 Chebby when I joined. Just kinda seemed like a natural choice. But now, I can't sell it or my reason is all shot to hell..

20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My nickname for 40 years is "Baumi", I´m 44 now. I inherited it from my Grandpa , whose nickname was also " Baumi", because our last name is " Baumgartner". Someday my kindergarten teacher´s husband recognized me as "Baumi´s grandkid" and in school he was my first 2nd grade teacher. My grandpa and he were friends so I had no choice I guess.

j-jock, 1Nimrod, s55mercury66 and 7 others like this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

There's an old redneck saying around the dinner table "Roothawg or die".....
    My mother in law would say it every time we would eat. Not sure what that has to do with hot rods.

Up until the last few years I was the only one on the internet. Now, I see em popping up, screwing up my chance for screen names. On IG, I had to use "The Original Roothawg".

j-jock, raven, Driver50x and 10 others like this.
  22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

< I have a 3 window + my name is John.

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cause I have been scrounging around for old cars and parts for maybe 60 years. Found many too! Several in plain sight in back yards from pole top as a lineman. Found the 57 that way in 77

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    j-jock, hotrodharry2, 1Nimrod and 9 others like this.
  24. Cougar20th

Cougar20th

My screenname is from my highschool car graduated in 1998 and still have the car. A 1987 Mercury Cougar 20th Anniversary.

25. Driver50x

Driver50x

I drove stock cars for 14 years. Car number 50x.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back when I started lurking the place was full of assholes so I never bothered to sign up. figured one more was not needed. one day a guy had a 49 Chevrolet question that was not being answered, so I signed up and took 2 seconds to think of a name. had I known at the time I was going to hang out here for this long I would have given it more thought.

27. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Veterinarian from Klawock, AK

28. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to hear “Roothawg, or lose yer tater!”

41 GMC K-18, Roothawg, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  29. What I spent the last 14 years of my career working on...

j-jock, 1Nimrod, dana barlow and 7 others like this.
  30. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke