Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Norman Timbs Streamliner to be Resurrected.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toner283, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Toner283

Toner283

I did a search and didn't see anything posted about this so I hope this isn't a repost but I just read online that the Norman Timbs Streamliner is going to be resurrected. It is going to be rebuilt from what remains after the fires. This is, IMO one of the most beautiful cars ever built. When the news first broke that the car had burned in the wildfires, I was very much saddened to hear of the loss of this custom. To myself and I'm sure to many other custom fans, this car is iconic. It is fantastic news that Gary Cerveny is going to restore the car again. Kudos to him for making the decision to bring the car back to life.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...ashes-after-malibu-wildfire-that-destroyed-it

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's great to see that car will get rebuilt. I was reading in Reincarnation that Rick Dore built a highly influenced rendition of the Timbs Stream liner. Not a clone by any stretch but a looks a hell of a lot like version.

The good thing is that there are guys out there who can pound and roll out a a body that is so exactly like the original you will need a microscope to tell the difference.

chryslerfan55 and Toner283 like this.
  3. aircap

aircap

I have loved that car since I spotted it in some old hot rodding mags. I remember seeing pix of it in bare metal in the desert, and rejoiced when it was going to be rebuilt. Who remembers seeing it in Nic Cage's version of "Gone in 60 Seconds"? It spent time in the yard of Chi McBride's body shop, and was very visible in the last shot as the crew enjoyed some BBQ. Now it will rebuilt again - its ageless and classic beauty should be enjoyed forever!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad it will be rebuilt again, what do they have that can be used?

Bob

5. Toner283

Toner283

Kinda reading between the lines in the article, it sounds like the mechanicals mostly survived and can be rebuilt. The body was destroyed and will need recreated but it sounds as though even some pieces of the body survived. Hopefully some pictures will surface of what is left of the car after the fires.

chryslerfan55 and Pinstriper40 like this.
  6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm very glad to hear that it will be resurrected. It was such a Beautiful car after Rex and the Custom Auto crew finished it the first time.

7. Squablow

Squablow

Sounds like the whole chassis and drivetrain can be restored, and possibly pieces of the body, plus they took laser maps of the body that are saved somewhere to guide the metalshaping process and assure the body shape is the same.

This makes me really happy, and it sounds like they're committed to using as much original material as possible. It was so sad to hear it was destroyed, and I wondered then how truly "destroyed" it was. It's a shame the original aluminum bodywork is lost, but even if they can only salvage a few random bits, it will be well worth it. My hat's off to the owner of the car who has committed a lot of time and funds to see it restored TWICE.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I hope someone can post photos of the rebuild, the first restoration had to be expensive, can't imagine what this one will cost. Best wishes to the owner and craftsmen bringing it back. Bob

Toner283 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. PackardV8

PackardV8