Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Joe Hunt magneto ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Firepower flyer, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Hello all trying to ID this mag, the tag has no info or I can’t read it. The housing looks like someone ground on it for clearance. The shaft is short so I’m thinking you use a intermediate shaft? Any ideas
    Thanks
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  2. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Maybe a front drive style. Looks like the type on old fuel cars. Maybe for Hilborn injection.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Ok I got it with a bunch of other parts and there were two mopar hilborn injection set ups
    So did they drive the mag off the pump? IMG_7552.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Yes I believe so. Piggybacked. My buddy is a collector and I remember seeing something similar. New offset drives use a short base mag also but the ones I’ve seen had a hex drive. I think Joe Hunt keeps records of the old serial #’s. They can tell you what it’s for and when they built it.

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

I had a distributor drive for a Chevy (misplaced somewhere at the moment) with the tach drive out one side, a Hilborn PG150 pump and drive out the other. Where the mag or distributor would mount looked like a female version of what you have. I never had the ignition side.

I remember a thread on here where the setup was described as a very early injection pump drive design that was abandoned due to fires (if a line came loose, even a little it would spray fuel everywhere including all over the exhaust).

6. The beauty of a mag is,,,,you can remove that base and swap it for another to fit almost any engine.
    The main bodies are pretty much the same,,,just different drive bases .

Tommy

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

9. 61cad, I've never seen one of those before. Does it have a brand name on it?

10. Its for a MOPAR you have to determine big block or small block by the direction that it spins. The points open away from the direction it spins.

11. Yep

12. Hilborn, Enderle and Kinsler

they all make/made them

Hollywood-East likes this.
  13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Great.... Another piece needed for the puzzle

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

Very similar to what I have / had, except the housing didn't go all the way down. There was a gap below where it would pilot in the manifold and a housing around bearings just above the drive gear (ball bearings, sub housing had a groove around the outside to pass the oil to the lifter galley).