Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic I Know But......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gumpa, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Gumpa

Gumpa

My grandson (Born with birth defects and uses crutches) Asked me last friday to build him a bike he could ride since he got a bad case of road rash from the three wheel (adult tricycle) when he did a quick turn "Crash and Burn" So here is what I got done so far. It still needs the steering finished and brakes before I sand it down and paint it but I am sure you will get the Idea. Gumpa

Attached Files:

2. Packrat

Packrat

I hate to hear that about your grandson, he's lucky to have a grandpa who can build him a bike! Is that your own design? Pretty cool!

3. Gumpa

Gumpa

Yeah. It took three trys before I came up with this one. I tried the Ice cream box style first and that was a real mess. Gumpa

4. jabber

jabber

how does it turn, I must be missing something. It looks like it's welded solid, I'm sure it's not, But I can't make it out in the pics.

Very Cool.

5. TERPU

TERPU

Way to go Grampa! I'm a firm beleiver the world needs more special people for the variety they bring and special way they look at the World. Cool hot rod your building, I have tons of bike parts and if you need anything let me know.

TEPRU

6. I'm guessing he's going to put some kind of a pitman arm, draglink, tie rod set up on it, but just hasn't gotten to it yet.
    Nice work Gumpa! Next you'll have to lower it!:D

7. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

now thats a great way to help somebody that needs the help just to fit in. i wish my grandpa was this cool.

8. Gumpa

Gumpa

I still have to weld the tie rod and pitman and linkage to it. It is going to be one long Trucklid spring wire off an old junker and then I will be using the linkage off the ford C-6 That I have for the drag link. So far I don't have the chain on it to keep the other grand kids from playing on it and since it is going to be a hand brake to the rear wheel I will wait until it is painted. He wants it Blue and Yellow so I am going to try and use the yellow as flames or scallops on it. I just got some fenders so that should help set it off and the other grandson gave me a little bucket seat off his funky low riding three wheel thing that isn't even a bike. I did find an old set of fog lights that I am going to mount on top of the 2 20 inch forks to hide some of the uglies. I am real pleased at how it is turning out and all the grand kids are begging me to build them one. I have a total of 13 grandkids and I would have to build 15 so Mammah and I can each have one. LOL. Gumpa

9. Looks good and that's great to build something for him. I will make one suggestion, add a little brace from the center frame to the crossbar on each side, i.e. triangulate it some. They do not need to go all the way to the ends, just out a bit to take the stress off the welds at the center. If your grandson hits a curb or big pothole, I would not want the one side wheel to break off.

10. Muttley

Muttley

Great thread. :cool: :cool:

11. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

My son Ryan was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 3 months. His left leg was amputated shortly after that. he's worn numerous "prosthetics" ( artificial legs ) over the last 16 years, and I've fabricated and "jerry-rigged" many bikes to meet his needs. today, he's 16 years old, 5' 10" weighs approximately 190 lbs; and plays center for his High School Football team! He's also "lettered" the past two years, and received the "Sportsman of the Year "award as well! He's an inspiration to me, and a hot-rodder at heart! The key?...The word "can't" ain't in his vocabulary. Do all you can for that child, and thank God every day for the opportunity to be able to meet the challenge! that's what I do, and it's always worked!..wherever there's a will, there's a way! I wish you both the very best!

12. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Thats unreal, good on ya mate :)

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Very cool, post some shots of the finished product. A metal flaked wheel would look good on there. Gas prices the way they are going I may have to resort to pedal power myself.

14. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

looks great... it just needs one thing, a chain steering wheel!

15. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Very cool.I've got a handicaped son(Huntington's Disease)and although I can't weld two coat hangers together I could have one done.Please as you go thru the fabrication of the "trike" keep us posted.Sure would love to see the finished product

16. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Could you cut flame-shaped "braces" out of plate? That would help both the engineering and the "cool" factors!:cool:

Bet he's excited!

17. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

my hats off to all you guys with kids that have spiecal needs!
    keep up the good work!
    randy

18. TINGLER

TINGLER

Thats truely awesome.

This is a great thread.

Thanks for sharing. :)

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You are one very cool grandfather ...... very cool thread.:cool:

20. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

that thing looks cool... you gotta get a pic w/ him cruizin it !

21. Gumpa

Gumpa

I am hoping to get back to work on it Sunday. If you guys are really interested I am going to build another one as soon as this one is done (for Me) and I can do a Tech on it showing the entire process That is if you want me too. Gumpa

22. raaf

raaf

bikes are pretty much the first taste of independence when you're a kid - and i imagine this one is even more important in that regard. my grandad always had a way of making things better too. ;)

23. Outstanding thread!

Made my freaking day, good going grampa.

s.

24. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Finally!
    after a week of mondays something to lighten my otherwise crappy mood.

neccecity is the mother of invention,but hotrodders are the father of making said inventions cool.

25. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

26. rodknocker

rodknocker

you're an awsome grandpa, but the question is raised why doesn't anybody make big boy pedal cars, maybe this is your calling gumpa?!

27. GTS225

GTS225

Borrowing off of 38Chevy454's, and Wild Turkey's responses; It would help the strength and look really great for either a flame-cut or scallop cut gusset at that "T" junction off the steering post. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could fab up a spiderweb gusset out of piano wire or 1/4" rod.

Roger

28. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Now THAT'S a grandpa. Kudos to you my friend.

Docc.

29. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

What everyone else has said. That's awesome that you're taking care of your grandson. Hats off to you.

RRR